Chapter 31: Options and Decisions

Start from the beginning

"Why did they throw you in here?!" Katara exclaimed as she paced back and forth through the crystal catacombs. "Oh, wait! Let me guess! It's a trap! So that when Aang shows up to help me, you can finally have him in your little Fire Nation clutches!"

Zuko frowned at her words but chose to ignore her. Nothing would happen even if he tried to explain himself. The waterbender had already made up her mind to judge him by his past.

Katara was far from finished with her tirade. "You're a terrible person, you know that?! Always following us, hunting the Avatar! Trying to capture the world's last hope for peace! But why do you care? You're the Fire Lord's son! Spreading war and violence and hatred is in your blood—"

He had it. "You don't know what you're talking about."

"I don't?! How dare you! You have no idea what this war has put me through! Me personally!" Zuko could hear the tears in her voice as she spoke. "The Fire Nation took my mother away from me."

His next words were what Katara least expected to hear from him. "I'm sorry. That's something we have in common."

            "This fight is over!" Azula held the Earth King hostage, firmly gripping his shoulder in one hand, a single, menacing, blue flame shaped like a dagger in the other

Sokka and Toph raised their arms in surrender, and Ty Lee paralyzed them both to be taken away by Dai Li agents. She shoved the king away. "Get them all out of my sight."

As they left, Long Feng entered the throne room, behind him were a number of Dai Li agents. "Now comes the part where I double cross you. Dai Li, arrest the Fire Nation princess!" But the agents made no move to obey his order. Azula's smirk grew wider the longer they stood still. "I said, arrest her! What is wrong with you?!"

"It's because they haven't made up their minds. They're waiting to see how this is going to end."

"What are you talking about?"

Azula looked down at Long Feng, much like how one views a street rat. She had learned this look from her father and she had used it plenty of times. "I can see your whole history in your eyes. You were born with nothing. So you've had to struggle, and connive, and claw your way to power." She taunted him with every word and she could feel his confidence crumbling. She savoured the feeling crushing him from the inside out. "But true power, the divine right to rule, is something you're born with."

She approached the throne and trailed her fingers over the golden armrests. "The fact is they don't know which one of us is going to be sitting on this throne, and which one s going to be bowing down. But I know... And you know...." She turned around and sat on the throne, crossing one leg over the other and clutching the armrests. "Well?"