Chapter 13: A Separation, a Reunion, and a Tribulation

They ran for what seemed like forever, their lungs burned and their feet ached. Zuko and Uncle Iroh decided that they had put enough distance between them and Azula, and stopped by a river bank.

"I think we are safe here." Uncle Iroh, knelt by the river, his breath coming off in heaves.

Zuko looked at the rushing water of the river. His exile had not come to an end, now they were worse off than when they had started. They were fugitives now. He took out the pearl dagger his uncle had given him. He contemplated whether it was the right thing to do. He closed his eyes, holding his top knot with the other hand, and cut it all off. Zuko held the ponytail in his hands. This had been his ray of hope, his way of telling himself that someday, he will make it back to his nation, with his pride and honor. But now, his own father had ordered his imprisonment.

He handed the dagger off to his uncle who did the same. And with the thoughts of ever returning to the Fire Nation, they let go of their hair, letting it get washed down by the river.

            Chiyo followed Azula as they searched the nearby cities in the West Coast of the Earth Kingdom

Chiyo followed Azula as they searched the nearby cities in the West Coast of the Earth Kingdom. She had commissioned a sketch artist to make some flyers that contained the faces of Zuko and Uncle Iroh, branding them as traitors to the Fire Nation. A hefty price was put on their heads, dead or alive. Azula had also expressed that anyone who harbors them will face the wrath of the Fire Lord.

They walked in a procession, Azula riding the palanquin, the royal guards at her side, Chiyo up front. To the side, a group of casually dressed nomads with flower wreaths and instruments sang as they walked. Chiyo was quite fond of singing nomads. They are carefree and fun, like their songs about the places they've been to and things they've explored.

One of them, a tall lanky man with shaggy hair and a flower wreath around his neck tried to catch her attention. "Hey, hey, hey! Come sing with me and my wife, pretty lady!"

Azula growled. "We don't have time for fools, Chiyo!"

The apprentice looked apologetic. "Sorry..."

The royal procession passed, but not before she heard the man sing.

Don't fall in love

With the travelling girl

She'll leave you broken

Brokenhearted