14

"Zak, I know something happened. What I want you to tell me is what I don't know."

Zak looked at his teacher with fear in his eyes. Would he call CPS? Would the Junior be taken away from his school and his friends?

"Hey... It's ok... I'm here you help you, I don't want to hurt you." The teacher obviously noticed his fear and wanted to calm him down. "Just... what happened, Zak?"

"I-I..." the boy stuttered. "I was..." he was trying to decide if he could trust this man.

"Hey, it's ok, you can trust me." The teacher said as if he was reading the teenager's mind.

"My mom kicked me out... I had no where to stay, I'm sorry... I'm sorry." The boy felt tears poke at his eyes, ready to fall out.

"It's ok." The teacher replaces his hand back on the young boy's shoulder in an attempt to calm him down.

Zak started crying, the stress of the past few months finally getting to him so suddenly. He decided to continue.

"The day I came out to my mom, like as gay, she kicked me out." He looked at his teacher, backing away from his hand in fear that he may be homophobic.

The teacher looked back at the boy sadly, noticing how he didn't even know who to trust anymore.

The teacher tried to come up with a solution. "Where have you been staying for the time being? In the school?"

"Yeah..."

"Well do you have any friends that you could stay with? What about Darryl? I have him in my 2nd period, but I've seen y'all walk and eat together before, y'all seem pretty close." Zak immediately got a sour look on his face, making the teacher realize he made a mistake.

"No. Not Darryl. I can't go to Darryl," the boy looked sad and angry at the same time. "I'm sorry...I have to go." He walked calmly out of the room.

"Goodbye, Mr. Schumacher. Thanks for trying."

337 words