It started the day Zak was kicked out; when he kept dozing off during class.

Mr. S watched Zak carefully every day since that one. He observed each and every one of Zak's actions, whether it be how he spoke, how he moved, or any of a plethora of possibilities. When Zak didn't pay attention, Mr. S didn't call him out. When Zak fell asleep, the math teacher let him get a little rest. He desperately tried to asses the situation and discover what was going on, and he had some relatively accurate predictions.

He was most sure about the fact that Zak no longer lived with his parents. He wasn't sure if it was because he ran away, was kicked out, or the more morbid option: that both of his parents had passed away and he was too scared to go to social services. He mainly crossed him running away off his mental list, as he hoped that if he ran away his parents would at least go to the school looking for him. But you never know- maybe he left because his parents abused him or something and they didn't want him back. But one thing that Mr. S was very sure about was that his parents were not looking for him.

Mr. S did not know where Zak was staying, but somewhere in the school was definitely on his list. He knew he had to confront Zak about this. He thought that maybe he would work up the courage to do it tomorrow and hopefully save this boy from whatever hell he was living in.

The day ended as it normally did and Zak went back to the locker rooms to settle down for the night. Instead of playing on his phone or something, he plugged it into the wall to charge as he sat in the corner and did some thinking.

Your childhood is the time when the world feels the most real to you. It's the time when you're so in touch with reality that you become the most observant person in the world. You feel just so awake in the world. The feeling of those surreal moments is something you can only feel when you're a kid.

At least that's how it is for most people.

But Zak's most alive moments were these few months.

393 words