Mr. Webb leaned closer, almost forehead-to-forehead with her. Lainey could only imagine the torture Fawn was experiencing.

"Now you listen to me, little girl," he whispered back, "I'm not told what to do in my classroom --"

"I'm not telling you," Fawn interrupted. "I asked nicely."

Mr. Webb was visibly displeased Fawn interrupted him. He slammed one of his monstrous hands on Fawn's desk.

"If you hadn't been sleeping in my class we wouldn't be having this discussion."

Fawn looked him in the eye.

"You're a miserable old man who intentionally shares his misery with his students. You should never bring your home issues to work, George. I'm sorry you're going through a tough divorce. You're not up until three in the morning grading papers or planning lessons. You're up thinking about your soon-to-be ex wife, Lana. You haven't been happy since she left you six months ago. The hurt is unbearable. It's unlike any pain you've ever experienced. Sometimes you cry yourself to sleep. One day you even thought about ending it all before deciding against it so you could be there for your unborn child. You know, the one you're having as a result of your infidelity with a call girl." The bell rang. Fawn stood. "I won't deny your proficiency as a teacher. But as a person, you're a jackass. Good day, sir."

Fawn exited the classroom, leaving everyone speechless and Mr. Webb as red as a ripe strawberry.

"Fawn?" Lainey asked as she sat down at their usual table at lunch.

"Hey," she responded without looking up from her plate of food. Mashed potatoes and steak.

"What . . . what was that back there? In Mr. Webb's class?"

"Guy's a dick. He had it coming to him."

"How do you even know all of that stuff?"

Fawn finally looked at Lainey, a serious look in her eyes.

"I read his mind."

Lainey almost dropped the bottle of chocolate milk she was shaking.

"What?"

Fawn casually returned to her food as if she had not said what she just said.

"I . . . we have a lot to catch up on. A lot. Can I visit you? After school?"

"I work today."

"What about after work?"

"Fawn, just tell me what the hell you mean. How hell did you read his mind?"

She sighed.

"Much like I read yours yesterday . . ."

Lainey's eyes widened.

"Back in my bedroom . . ."

Fawn nodded.

"Can I see you after school? There's something I need to tell you."

"After? Er . . . Benjamin's coming to see me after work."

Fawn raised an eyebrow.

"You two really hit it off, huh?"

Lainey's stomach flipped?

"H-Hit it off?? We're . . . friends. That's all."

Fawn smiled.

"You're making it bigger than what I meant. And you're blushing."

Lainey brushed her hair to the side, finally becoming interested in her own plate of food. Fish sticks and potato tots.