• twenty four •

"So you and Corben, huh?"

Harry was staring at the bowl of soup in front of him, and he glanced up to answer Ron's question.

"Yes. I thought you knew."

"How would I know?" Ron complained. "You didn't tell me."

Harry looked at Hermione, confused. "You didn't tell him? I thought you would have."

"You knew?" Ron looked at Hermione, indignant. "No one tells me anything."

But Hermione sighed. "I didn't, Ron. I just saw the two standing very close to each other the night before Christmas and I teased Harry a little, but I wasn't really sure if they were together and I didn't want to spread rumours."

It was the weekend. Ginny had left for Germany with her new family, the Holyhead Harpies, only this morning, and the entire Weasley family was quite emotional. Harry had been there to see her off, and after Molly had stopped crying about her daughter leaving, Ron had dragged him and Hermione to a restaurant. All three of them were incredibly busy these days, and usually they liked spending quiet weekends at home, staying under blankets and drinking tea. But Harry was glad that Ron had arranged this little getaway; he had missed hanging out with them.

He had offhandedly mentioned his date with Corben, which subsequently roused the indignation in Ron, and only then did Harry discover that Ron had had no clue that they had been dating. He felt slightly fearful, thinking that Ron might not approve, as it hadn't been very long since his breakup with Ginny. But as it turned out, Ginny and Harry's past relationship was the last thing on his mind.

"So Corben is training to become an Auror," said Ron, twirling a spoon between his fingers. "And he's dating you, Harry Potter, the heartthrob of the wizarding world. You're also giving him personal training. You do realise that if Corben becomes an Auror, people would never forget to remind him that he only got in because he's dating you?"

Harry put down his spoon, frowning. No, he hadn't realised it. He had decided to help out Corben with his training after he had asked him to, and that was before they had started dating. And the only reason Corben had asked for his help was because he had missed so many classes after his mother was arrested. But of course, people wouldn't understand that.

If he was being honest, he was rather surprised that it was Ron who thought of this possibility, as such things seemed to be Hermione's expertise. But then again, he thought, Ron was the one who has always been overshadowed by his brothers and his best mate, so perhaps it wasn't that surprising that he could predict what people might say about Corben's relationship with Harry.

"No, I haven't really thought about that," he muttered.

"I think he's right, Harry," said Hermione, sounding anxious. "People love bringing other people down. I think what Ron said is very likely."

Harry gave a dry laugh. "So I should stop training him? I can't do that. He needs it; he's missed so many classes, and his health isn't really cooperating with him. He needs support."

"No, of course he does," said Hermione, placing a hand over his wrist. "I'm not saying you should stop helping him. Just be careful, alright? Poor Corben is already facing so much ridicule from people because of his mother, and now he's dating a famous celebrity like you, and -" she raised her voice as Harry made to interrupt, "- and you are both men. Anything that happens in your life is bound to become public knowledge sooner or later. Just remember that whatever you do, it will affect Corben in some way."

Harry leaned back against his chair, frustrated. He wanted to have a good time with his friends, catch up with everything that was going on in their lives. He didn't want to be attacked by Ron and Hermione telling him how he ruined the lives of everyone who was close to him.