• forty-three •

The eggs sizzled deliciously in the pan and Harry watched them in satisfaction, recalling the time Corben had been bewildered to see that he was unable to fry an egg. Not to blow his own trumpet, but the eggs looked perfect and Harry felt a warmth of pride spread through his chest. Today was the last day of Corben's study leave and he would make the day as easy and loving for him as possible.

He would tell him about his decision to apply for a position at Hogwarts. He has been meaning to do so for a while but has always been interrupted by one thing or another. He would tell him at breakfast. Corben would be happy, he was sure.

As he slid the eggs into a plate, Corben stumbled into the kitchen, shoving an arm into a shirt, a cloak hanging over one shoulder. "Hey, Harry. I'm going out. I'll be back in a minute."

Harry looked at him, concerned. Eggs forgotten, he took the cloak from Corben and helped him put on the shirt without tangling his arms in the fabric. "Where are you going?"

"I'll tell you when I come back." Corben buttoned his shirt and gave a quick peck on Harry's cheek. "That smells delicious by the way."

Harry was barely able to utter a thanks before Corben rushed out of the kitchen with a flourish of his cloak. He stared at the spot where he had disappeared for a minute and returned the now-empty pan to the stove. He sat on his chair with the plate of eggs and toast in front of him and silently waited for Corben to return.

Corben took little more than a minute to be back. The eggs have turned cold and the toast soggy. He shoved off his cloak. Harry sat with his hands clasped together in his lap as Corben arranged the food into two plates. He brought knives and forks from the shelf and laid them down beside the plates, then looked at Harry whose eyes were fixed on the striped tablecloth.

"You're mad at me," Corben said. It wasn't a question.

"I'm not," said Harry monotonously and cut a small portion of his egg. He didn't look at Corben.

Corben hopped closer to Harry with the chair still underneath him and leaned over him. "I'm sorry, Harry. I needed to do something. I didn't mean to leave you alone." He kissed Harry on the neck, lingering for a moment too long so that Harry was unable to keep the giggle from spilling out of his mouth. He pushed Corben away.

What was he doing? He was determined to make the day good for Corben and not an hour has passed and he was already ruining his mood by being sullen. He pushed his glasses up his nose and smiled. "I'm not mad at you. I know you must have a good reason for leaving so early."

Corben speared a slice of egg and toast on his fork and held it up in front of Harry's mouth. Harry stared, perplexed, before Corben said, "Go on. My apology."

"I made this," he pointed out.

"And I'm feeding it to you."

"Are you trying to get me to eat first to see if I've destroyed the egg?" he asked, tentatively, wondering if Corben would get defensive. Thankfully, he smiled.

"Yes, Harry. That's exactly what I'm doing."

Harry accepted the offering gratefully. He bit into the morsel and a sense of relief washed over him. It was good. For once, he hasn't ruined something.

He finally unclasped his hands and began to eat. Every now and then Corben insisted Harry eat from his portion so after a while he started to do the same. It wasn't a grand gesture in any shape or form but the butterflies fluttering in Harry's stomach said otherwise. It rang so loudly in his ears that Harry was shocked Corben didn't hear it too.

Corben filled a kettle with water once they were done eating and placed it on the stove. Harry was once again filled with guilt. He forgot to make tea when Corben had rushed out of the apartment so abruptly. His plan to let Corben have a restful and comfortable day really wasn't going well. But Corben hummed quite serenely as he emptied the kitchen counter so Harry refrained from interrupting him.