• eleven •

Harry wished there was something he could do for Corben, but he didn't seem to want to talk about it or even admit that anything was bothering him. He continued his trainings silently, smiled a little too brightly whenever Harry said hello, and put his entire body and soul into working hard to pass his Auror tests.

He was putting as much effort into his work as a qualified Auror did, and Harry knew it wasn't healthy for him.

Thus one Friday, after he was done with his own work, he said goodbye to Ron, went into the training hall and sat in one corner, waiting for Corben to finish. He was duelling another trainee Auror and colourful sparks flew from their wands. The second person seemed to be relatively new to duelling, for he was positively struggling. He backed away with each spell that Corben shot at him, finally yelling out, "Protego!"

Corben was blasted a few inches backwards and his wand fell from his hand. Despite the clear defeat, he grinned triumphantly and shot his rival a challenging glare, who merely shook his head in response. Audra came into Harry's view and spoke to her two students. Soon after, they were dismissed.

Corben spotted Harry as he slung his bag over his shoulder and jogged over to him, grinning. "Fancy seeing you here, Just Harry."

Harry stood up and smiled. "You seem far too happy for someone who's just lost a duel."

"Lost?" He shook his head. "I didn't lose, Harry, I won. It was a practice for non verbal spells, not duels."

"Oh? Then congrats!"

Corben thanked him and did a little exaggerated bow. Harry led him outside and into a corridor that wasn't packed with people, then faced him. He was more than certain that Corben was putting up the happy façade to not show what he was actually feeling. He was quite broken about all the talks revolving around his mother, and his current demeanor was quite obviously forced.

"How are you feeling?" he asked quietly, holding him lightly by the arms. Corben shrugged him off.

"I'm fine, Harry. Is that what you brought me here for?"

"No, actually," Harry answered and straightened himself. "I wanted to ask you if you wanted to hang out with me over the weekend. I know it's probably late to ask, but it would be great if you do."

Corben looked surprised, but he agreed. "Sure, I would love to. Do you have anything in mind?"

"As a matter of fact, I do," said Harry with a smile.

"Oh, planned everything already, have you?" He waggled his eyebrows, causing heat to rise up his cheeks.

"Uh – sort of." He shifted weight from one foot to another. "Tomorrow then?"

"Yeah, where shall I meet you?"

"Oh I'll pick you up from your home." Harry smiled. "Four is okay?"

"Four is okay."

Harry rang Ron the next morning. He seemed to have just woken up, for his words stumbled over each other and it took him a good five minutes to recognise his best friend. There wasn't a particular reason Harry had called him, but they ended up talking for over half an hour, mainly because he missed talking to him. The topic of Ginny was still a sensitive one between them, but Ron was surprisingly understanding about it. He seemed to have learned his lesson.

After freshening up and having breakfast, Harry decided to do some work from office. Being an Auror was mostly practical work, although he did have loads of documents to keep tabs of the criminals who have been caught in the past, along with wanted ones. It was a tiring job either way, and he was looking forward to spending some time with Corben.