• twenty three •

Harry made the grave mistake of introducing horror movies to Corben, for after that he refused to watch anything else.

They have had a movie night after a particularly rough day for Corben, and Harry had asked him to choose a movie to watch. Quite unenthusiastically, he had chosen a movie at random, which turned out to be a horror one. Harry was uncertain initially as to whether he would enjoy it or not, but as it turned out, he needn't have worried, for Corben's reaction was priceless. The lights were off, the curtains drawn, and it didn't take long for Corben to forget about his work. Half of the time was spent with Harry staring amusedly at him as his eyes widened dramatically every few minutes and his fingers clutched the blankets like a vice.

It was Saturday morning. Harry had invited Corben over to his house to teach him some defensive spells, and they were now reorganising the living room to make space for them. The latter didn't seem all too enthusiastic as he usually did, mostly keeping his head low as he half-heartedly pushed the sofas against the walls.

Harry watched him for a few minutes. He was trying to decide whether something was bothering him or he was simply being absentminded. Corben used to be lively when they had first met, but he has become increasingly moody, thanks to his Auror training. It was when Corben tried to wedge one of the cushions into the bookshelf that he finally decided to interfere.

"I'm pretty sure that doesn't go there," said Harry as he gently pulled the cushion out of his grip. Corben blinked a few times, then turned to him.

"Sorry, I was – shall we begin?"

The change of course was strangely abrupt. Harry frowned and threw the cushion over his shoulder, before holding Corben's hands. "Soon. Let's sit down first."

With a sigh, Corben followed him to one of the sofas and sat beside him. His eyes flitted around the room like a fly, avoiding looking at Harry. His hands were surprisingly clammy. Harry rubbed his hand gently over Corben's palm, a gesture that, he had discovered, was an effective method to calm him down during times of distress. It seemed to work, even if only slightly.

"What's going on?" he asked finally.

"I wish I was more confident," he answered in a small voice. "I spend all these hours in training, but when I go to bed at night, a little voice inside me tells me that this will all go in vain and I will end up disappointing everyone."

"That little voice," said Harry, "is not your enemy. It's you. It says that because that's what you think. If you really want to become an Auror, you need to keep telling yourself that you can do it. And before you know it, that voice will repeat those words too."

Corben nodded, seeming unconvinced. "I don't know if I am fit to be an Auror," he said. "My body is not fit. I'm too skinny, too weak. I cannot run for long. Too much work drains me –"

"It drains everyone," Harry assured. "Not just you. And I was skinny like you too, you must have seen me at Hogwarts. It was only after I left the Dursleys and began to earn my own money that I gained weight."

But Corben was already shaking his head. "That's different. You were skinny because your aunt and uncle didn't feed you. It's not the same for me because I do eat. Sometimes I force myself to eat even when my stomach cannot hold anymore food, I take breaks from my training every hour to eat something, but it never works. I don't gain weight, I just end up getting sick."

Harry didn't answer. His hands still clasping Corben's, he remained thoughtful for a few minutes. Then he said, "You know, I can take you to a dietician."

Corben frowned. "What's that?"

"Doctors, kind of, who regulate your diet based on your medical conditions. They can look over you and give you a planned diet that will help you get healthier."