• forty-two •

Harry was in the spare room - now Corben's study room - writing a letter. He was simply copying the previous letter he'd written to McGonagall to a fresh new page. With the sheer number of times he'd handled it and shoved it into his pocket, it was now barely readable. A hundred creases decorated it and broke the ink into tiny fragments.

Normally he wouldn't be using Corben's table but Corben was sleeping and he had to admit he had done quite a good job with furnishing this room. He only wished he had done it earlier.

Harry has finally made up his mind truly and completely and he was going to tell Corben that he wished to be a teacher at Hogwarts. He sealed the letter carefully in an envelope when he'd finished writing it and placed it inside one of the drawers. Then he went to the bedroom where he found Corben curled into a ball as he slept.

With worry curling his brows into a frown, Harry sat gingerly next to Corben's sleeping form and touched his arm. It was ten in the morning; Corben had eaten his breakfast two hours ago and had gone to bed again, saying that he was tired and needed some rest. Harry had happily put him to bed and stayed with him until he fell asleep, but now he was beginning to get concerned. This was so unlike Corben to sleep in, that too in such a stressful time as this. Of course, Harry was glad that he was getting some well-deserved rest but he usually had to force Corben to get out of his table and take a nap.

With his hand on Corben's shoulder, he shook him gently. He didn't enjoy waking him up - he looked so much at peace when he was sleeping, no frowns wrinkling his face - but Harry felt that something was wrong. Corben wouldn't sleep so much.

After a few minutes of gentle shaking, Corben stirred. He stretched his legs and blinked up at Harry, who instantly felt guilt wash over him as the wrinkles of worry took over his face yet again. But he smiled and caressed his jaw, saying, "Good morning. Again."

Much to his pleasure, Corben smiled, pushing his face into Harry's hand. "I'm surprised you woke me up."

"Me too. I was worried. Are you okay?"

The smile faded a little. "Hm. Just exhausted."

Not wanting to make him more stressed than he already was, Harry put a gentle smile on his face and asked, "Are you going to work today or take a break? It's okay if you take a break. I know you'll do well either way."

Somehow, this caused the remainder of Corben's smile to vanish. He pushed Harry away, albeit gently, and turned over so he was facing the wall. Feeling like a complete fuck-up, though he was unsure of what he'd done wrong, Harry pulled himself up on the bed, biting his lip, and said, "What is it, Corben? You seem to pull away from me sometimes but you never tell me what is it I've done or said wrong. Please talk to me."

Without saying anything, Corben curled up into a ball again and closed his eyes. Harry stared at him for a minute, uncertain whether it would be a good idea to touch him. He placed a gentle hand on his waist and when Corben didn't protest, he wound his arm around completely and leaned over his shoulder. "What can I do for you, Corben?"

He was relieved when Corben took his hand and twined their fingers together. Corben's stomach rose and fell under his arm with his soft and shallow breaths. "What if I fail the exams, Harry?" he asked in a low, strained whisper. "What if I don't become an Auror? What then?"

Harry did not answer right away. With the hand that was not tangled with Corben's, he stroked his hair gently and rhythmically, hoping that this would act as a balm against all the insecurities that wrapped Corben in their merciless arms. "You won't fail," he said quietly. "You will be an Auror. Trust me."

Corben let out a quick breath. "But what if I don't?"

"I have faith in you. I know -"

"No!" Corben shot away from Harry and was out of the bed in one second. Harry watched, perplexed, as he huddled against the corner of the room and rested his forehead on the wall. He was hugging himself firmly with his arms around the stomach and breathing rapidly. He would start crying at any moment now.