Chapter thirty one: The Trigger.

Sam's POV

It was a long tiring day.

I got dropped off home by Matt, my teammate, and I found a text from Jamie from earlier this morning saying that the kids would be at Rachel's tonight. Luckily, I was already changed from my football gear.

I noticed that her car wasn't in the driveway. I unlocked the door. "Jamie?" I yelled and I heard no answer. I called out again and looked in the living room and upstairs but no sign of her. I looked in the kitchen and as I approached the sink, I saw a sharp bloody knife.

"Jamie?" I yelled again, sounding worried. I didn't know what to do. I got out my phone and called the police since Mark and Chris were not on the case anymore. I dialled the number and at the corner of my eye, I look down to see a scrunched up piece of paper. I put my phone down onto the bench, ending the call and I bent down to pick it up.

I sighed heavily and opened it up, scared of what was on it. My eyes grew wider as I reread the note over and over. "If you want to keep your brother safe then give yourself up and don't be late. Come alone or you'll be sorry. Be at the Woodbury forest at 5:30."

I almost had a mental breakdown at this because I knew Jamie and went and I knew she was in trouble. I checked my phone clock and it was already six.

"Dammit!" I cursed. She had gone to them. I grabbed my cell phone and found a baseball bat. I ran out the door and into my car. "Shit, Jaime. Why did you have to do this?" I yelled to myself while banging my hands on the steering wheel.

I sped my way to this forest, hoping no police cars would stop me. I quickly dialled Mark's number because I knew they wouldn't waste time like the police did. When the police arrived, Jamie and Jacob would most likely be dead and I couldn't let that happen.

"Hello, this is Mark speaking." I instantly heard Mark's voice.

"Mark. Jamie is in trouble, I need your help." I said in a hurry.

"What happened?" He asked.

"I found a small note on my kitchen floor telling me where Jacob most likely is and Jamie went after him." I said.

"That doesn't sound good. Where are you now?" He asked me.

"I'm heading to the Woodbury forest." I told him.

"No, Sam. If you want Jamie safe you need to be here for her when she gets back. Stay at home where it is safe." He told me as I could hear him shuffling in the background.

"Okay." I lied.

"Good, Chris and I will inform the police department and we will head straight there." He said as he hung up.

Screw that, of course I was going and I was sure he knew it too.

*

I arrived at this forest and saw that it was surrounded by trees but no one was in sight. I searched for something more until I found a small cottage and I noticed Jamie's rental car. I grabbed the baseball bat and had it over my shoulder as I was walking slowly up the porch. The door was unlocked, almost like they wanted me to enter.

It was silent as the floorboards creeks and I clutched the baseball bat as hard as I possibly could just in case I needed to use it. My gut told me to head for the living room with my baseball bat ready. I slowly walked towards the door of the living room and it creaked open.

I dropped the baseball bat as I saw Jamie tied up on a chair next to Jacob and they were both unconscious. "Jamie?" I rushed over and lifted her chin up but she didn't move. I tried and untie her from the chair but it was in a big knot and I couldn't get it undone. I tried not to freak out. "Jacob?" I tried and wake him up but he didn't move an inch.

"Stop right there." I heard an unknown voice behind me and I heard the click of a gun that was  ready to be fired. I slowly turned around with my hands up and I see a women and a man. Memories flashback to that night. I glared at them as I recognised them from the news.

"Ah. So this is the boyfriend Jamie secretly has?" She smirked.

"What do you want?" I asked, not feeling scared.

"For you to disappear." The man said in an evil way.

"Not going to happen," I said back and they didn't like that, "what's your plan?" I asked after a few seconds of silence.

"To have Jamie all to ourselves and for you and Jacob to be vanished with no trace." Mary said.

This wasn't going down well. "You will never get away with this." I said, putting my hands down.

They both laughed. "But we already have."

"Sam." I heard Jamie whisper.

I turned around and I heard the gun move. "Don't you dare." Mary said.

"It's okay, Jamie. I'm here." I whispered.

"We will always love Jamie more than you ever will." Lennie said. Oh, so this was about love?

I've seen on TV shows of how they tried to calm the killer down before the police came. Thanks Criminal Minds, I would give it my best shot.

"So, you love Jamie. Are you are like parents to her then?" I suddenly asked, not knowing where this was all going.

"Always." They both said and I gave a fake smile.

"What are you doing?" Jamie whispered and I ignored her because this had to work if I wanted everyone I loved to be alive.

"Then don't shot me, just take Jamie and go." I said, hoping they would fall for it. I heard cars pull up outside the house but they didn't hear anything.

"Why don't you put the gun down and you can take Jamie," I paused, "and Jacob and I will stay here for a while." It really broke me to say that because I knew Jamie could hear every word.

"We can't take any chances." Mary said, holding up the gun even more.

I heard running in the house. "Freeze and put the gun down Miss Small." I saw Mark say while Chris and himself were holding up handguns with backup behind them.

I put my hands up and I saw Mary smirk as she pulled the trigger. And from that point on, I couldn't hear anything else.