Chapter 19

Dr. Karev walks into the room after a few hours. Chris was sleeping and I was simply stroking his hair back away from his face. He told me that it helped calm him down.

"Still with him?" Dr. Karev asks. He had tried hitting on me when I first started to stay with Chris, but I paid no attention to it.

"Hell yeah I'm still with him. Why?"

Dr. Karev chuckles, looking over the binder that was placed at the end of Chris's bed. He writes down a few things before his gaze turns to me.

"Nothin'. I'm available just in case you change your mind," he winks.

I roll my eyes playfully. "Sorry. You're not my type."

He scoffs, letting out an amused chuckle.

"Go ahead. Play hard to get. It just makes it more fun for me," Dr. Karev says.

"You'll simply waste your time. Now, is everything okay with Chris?"

Dr. Karev slips out of his playboy façade to answer my question about Chris's condition, "His vitals are stable. Dr. John is overseeing a patient right now, but I think he's going to stop by afterwards. Probably to make sure I did a good job with checking Chris's vitals."

"Ah. So, what you're saying is Dr. John doesn't trust your medical knowledge, is that it?" I tease.

Dr. Karev narrows his eyes. "Keep acting sassy. It only makes me like you even more."

"Yeah, yeah. Thanks, Alex." I tell him, nodding in his direction once he leaves the room.

Dr. John was going to stop by later today. I had to wonder if he had good or bad news; I was hoping for the former.

I continue stroking Chris's hair back before he begins to grunt, bringing a hand to rub the sleep from his eyes. I smile, leaning down to kiss his cheek before he lets a small smile line his lips.

When his eyes open to look up at me, his smile drops.

I furrow a brow.

"Everything all right?" I ask.

"You know, I'm the jealous type," he says sleepily.

"What?"

"You and Dr. Karev..." Chris continues.

"Really?" I ask.

"You know he's into you. I know he's into you. Why do you urge him to continue?"

"Chris, you don't have to be jealous."

"Why not? He's the one who's healthy."

"Chris –"

"I'm not in the mood to argue right now, Arri."

"Well, good, because we aren't. Now, stop it," I tell him, cupping his cheek.

He looks at me and I see the look of irritation and insecurity through his eyes. Slowly, I lean forward to press my lips against his. Chris sighs against me, holding me closer to his body. I allow our lips to slowly move against one another; Chris always surprised me with how good of a kisser he was.

After a few moments, I pull away and he looks at me with an apologetic look.

"Again, he isn't and never will be my type, Chris."

"Why? You like sick, feeble men? You don't dig healthy guys?"

"Nope. I like my men with the prettiest eyes that have this natural twinkle in them. I like my men with a bit of scruff, slightly shaggy hair, and my god, don't even get me started on the dimples..."

Chris slowly begins to smile.

"I love you, Chris. There's no other man out there for me. I've got him right where I want him," I continue.

"On a hospital bed?" He teases.

"No, you dork."

Chris chuckles, kissing my forehead.

"I'm just teasing."

"I know. You do that a lot," I smile.

Before our conversation could continue, Dr. John walks into the room with the biggest smile I have ever seen on his face.

It was good news. I could feel it.

"Well, Chris Evans... I think we've found you a heart."

-T B C-