Chapter 15

I pull away, looking up at him. "Please... Just hang on a bit longer..."

Chris nods slowly, resting his forehead against mine.

"Okay, Arri... Okay."

So, I told my mom about you." I tell him, looking at the ships on the board game. We have been avoiding the subject of our last argument, but I knew Chris was still upset. He didn't show it often, but I could tell when his demeanor changed when a nurse came in to check his vitals.

Chris looks over at me, smiling softly. "Oh, yeah? What'd she say?"

"She wants to meet you. I don't usually tell her about my boyfriends because she tends to bring up the subject of marriage all the time. She married young. Had me young. I guess she assumed I would follow in her footsteps."

One of the things I enjoyed about my relationship with Chris was that we were able to talk to one another without having to worry about what the other may think. Bringing up marriage was a risk I was willing to take. Besides, it didn't seem like he was going to run away at the mention of long-term commitment.

"What exactly is young?" Chris asks.

"She had me when she was nineteen then married my dad a year later."

Chris arches a brow, smiling. "So, you've got a young mom?"

I playfully smack his upper arm, shaking my head. "Don't get any ideas. You're mine and she's still happily married."

Chris takes my hand, kissing my knuckles gently. I stare into his eyes, instantly noticing the twinkle it always seemed to hold in his brown orbs.

"I'm joking. Besides, I like them young," he winks.

I laugh quietly, dropping my eyes to my ships on the board.

"We're not that far apart in age, you know."

"But you're younger than me regardless, so your argument is moot point." Chris grins pride fully; he always loved being right.

"Oh, shush. B7," I say, looking up at him to see if I were to finally hit one of his ships.

"Miss. Again. Come on. Get outta your head and pay attention. What the hell are you thinking about, woman?"

I pout, looking into his eyes. "You know what, maybe you're just better than me at board games."

Chris laughs, nodding slightly. "That's probably true. You're not very good."

Feigning a shocked expression, I widen my eyes.

"Oh, I'm definitely going to kick your ass now."

"You've been saying that. I'm still waiting for it to happen," Chris teases.

---

"I've got to stop by the bar to talk to Nate. I'll be back in an hour or so, okay?" I tell Chris, looking into his eyes as I sit at the edge of his hospital bed.

He nods, staring into my eyes. It had been a couple of days since our argument and things were falling back into place. I was still aware that he was losing hope, but he said he was going to hold on a bit longer.

"All right. If you bring a deck of cards, we can play another game that I'll win at," he teases.

"You know, the things they say that the man should always let the woman win doesn't apply to you, does it?"

Chris chuckles, shaking his head. "Not at all."

"Mm, and that is why I like you." Leaning down, I gently peck his lips. I let my fingertips run through his shaggy hair, slowly stroking it away from his face. "I'll be back."