Chapter 10

I had spent the entire week with Chris. I left only to go to school and to work, but I spent my nights with him. I had grown accustomed to sleeping by his side, listening to the beeping of the machine that lulled me to sleep.

We had gotten to know each other a bit better. I always brought him food and even convinced him to let me feed him. I could tell that he was getting weaker, but I forced myself to not think too much of it. He was still here. He was still breathing. That's what mattered.

There was still no word on the potential heart, but Chris remained hopeful. He still had a smile on his face every day. I don't know how he could do it. To smile and maintain hope while he was suffering in pain.

There had been a few times where Dr. John had to shock his heart to slow his heartrate and the sounds of his pain was enough for me to tear up. He made me stay by his side, staring up at me as if I made the pain disappear.

I hadn't been working too much as I used to. At the most, I was working at most sixteen hours a week. School wasn't a big deal. I attended class, but immediately made my way back to the hospital. Chris was also a good motivator when I didn't want to do homework.

This morning, though, I had to go home to change and get ready for my morning class. Chris looks over at me, watching as I put on my coat.

"Do you have your umbrella?" He asks.

I lift it for him to see. "Yes, I do. I learned from my mistake."

Chris smiles, taking my hand once I walk back to his bedside. Leaving him was always a hard thing to do. Since finding out about his condition, I began to worry more. Every time I was away from him, my thoughts would drift to the darkest parts of my mind. Every morning and every night, I pray that the new day would bring good news about the heart.

"I'll be back in time for lunch. I'm also going to bring a change of clothes just in case." I tell him, pulling my bag over my shoulder.

Chris smirks, "Thinking of taking a shower here?"

"Maybe..."

Chris leans down to kiss the back of my hand, leading his way to my knuckles by trailing soft kisses. "You're teasing me, Ariana."

I laugh and lean down to kiss his forehead. I stroke back the hair that had fallen and look down at him. "I'll be here later."

"All right. I'll have Scrabble waiting. I know you've been wanting to redeem yourself," he smirks.

"Hey! You just get lucky every time."

"Right. You're saying my luck happened a total of four times?" Chris grins smugly.

"You know what, I'm going to go before I decide to ditch class and take you right here," I respond.

Chris's eyes darken and when I realize what he was thinking of, I immediately blush.

"I didn't mean for it to come out like that," I tell him.

"I wouldn't mind if you just mounted me right now, if I'm being honest."

I narrow my eyes, biting my lower lip. "You're trouble, Chris Evans."

"But I'm also irresistibly charming. Now, go on and get to class. I'll see you later," he responds.

I nod, giving him a quick peck on the cheek before I leave his room hesitantly. I glance at him from the window, seeing him wave before he leans back against the bed and shuts his eyes.

All I had to do was get through class and then I could see him again.

-TBC-