Chapter 17

It had been a week since Katty stopped by. A week since Chris tried to tell me to leave. A week since we admitted to each other that we loved one another.

It had been a goddamn week and still, there was no sign of a new heart. No good news. Chris was getting worse. He tried to smile, to tease me like he usually did, but spending every minute with him for the past three months showed me that he, too, was believing that his time had finally run out.

Katty thought that it was best to show up to the hospital today to try and give Chris a "Get Well" card. She must have assumed that I wouldn't be here because the minute she saw me sitting at his bed, the look of surprise on her face was priceless.

"Oh, Arri..."

Chris looks over at me, sending me a warning glance. I knew he was telling me to calm down, to not get angry, but I couldn't help myself. Katty, of all people, was supposed to be the one person that should understand and stand by my wishes.

"What are you doing here, Katty?" I ask, trying to keep my anger at bay. Chris rests a hand over my own, squeezing it with little strength.

"I didn't – I wanted to give Chris a 'Get Well' card. I didn't know you'd be here," she says.

I arch a brow. "And why's that? Chris's my boyfriend. Why would I leave?"

I could tell she was trying to avoid the conversation. Her eyes wouldn't meet mine and instead, she settled for setting the card onto the table. She must have assumed that Chris talked to me about leaving. One thing she forgot about my personality was that when I put my mind to something, it was going to take a damn lot to change it.

"Arri..." She says.

"No, you know what? I don't like the fact that you have to go and talk to my boyfriend behind my back, trying to convince him that me leaving him would be a good decision, Katty. You don't know what it's like to be in love. You're with a new fucking guy every other week. What makes you think you have the right to talk to Chris about what's good for me and what isn't?!"

Chris tries to hold me back, but I shake my head. The past week had taken a toll on me and it wasn't helping that I had a front row seat to witness Chris's health diminishing.

Katty tightens her jaw and her eyes narrow.

"I'm trying to look out for you! You don't love him! You don't even know him! You have spent every second of your time taking care of him, Arri! How could you fall in love by doing that?"

I look at Chris, taking note that his eyes had fallen shut as if he didn't want to hear this conversation. My heart breaks and I reach over to rest my hand over his, offering him a comforting gesture.

I didn't need to raise my voice to get my point across.

"Katty... Why can't you be happy for me? I found him, okay? Remember all those late-night talks about finding my own Prince Charming? Well, he's here. I'm not going to let him go because you think it's what I should do. He's it, Katty."

"You're being stupid, Arri. He's going to die and I don't want to watch you sulk over a man you barely know!"

I take a deep breath. I shut my eyes. In that moment, I had enough. I had enough of other people telling me that I was stupid and naïve for falling in love with someone that had a fifty-fifty chance of survival.

"Get out," I tell her.

"Arri –"

"Katty, get the hell out. Tell Nate I'm not coming back."

"Ariana –"

"You want to know why I love him, Katty?! Sex doesn't define a relationship, okay? You may be used to that, but I'm not going to let it be the major factor in my relationship with Chris."