Chapter Six: TF 127

London, England

United States Embassy

23 October, 2022

Mirrors always manage to show two different versions of the same image. As Zackary looked at himself now, all bandaged up and injured, he knew that others saw him as a survivor. Someone who managed to live through an ordeal. Myers hated being seen like that. No one saw him that way after fighting Saudi backed forces in Yemen. A now peaceful and free Yemen.

The mirror didn't reflect that, though. Instead, the man that stared back at him was a survivor. A civilian who acted and ran towards danger, and Zack had no way to blame anyone for seeing him in such a manner.

He grabbed the remote with his good arm and turned on the TV, flicking through the channels until he reached BBC World News. For the most part, Myers almost never watched television. Everything he needed to know came through some sort of communication report that employees of his business provided. Anything that ended up on the news, he already had knowledge of hours before hand.

Except this time.

"...again, we have breaking news. Just a few minutes ago, it was reported that White Tower was destroyed. At the current moment, we do not know..."

An aggressive knock at the door pulled his attention. Before he could even say 'come in', a familiar face came into view. One that he just saw a few days ago. One that saved his life more times than Myers could count. The two shook hands, a smile reaching from ear to ear across their faces.

"Cap, it's good to see you," they now embraced. Zackary grimaced at the pressure applied to the arm in the sling, but powered through it.

"It's good to see you too, Lieutenant."

They stared at each for a moment, still keeping their smiles as wide as from the start. Trent looked his former CO up and down, examining the state Zackary was in. He then said, "Guess who I brought? Guys, come on in!"

Two more recognizable faces entered the room, Master Sergeant Isaac Matthews and Private Peter Bardsley, each of them smirking. They all shook hands and clapped each other on the back, chuckling at the very sight of seeing one another after all this time. While Matthews had aged a bit, the hairs at the crown of his temple graying, Bardsley looked as young as he ever did ten years ago when he first enlisted. Even his crystal blue eyes hadn't lost the vibrance Myers had noticed the first time they met.

"Master Sergeant. Private. What are you two doing here? Find it hard to believe you'd come all this way just to check up on my busted ass," Zackary said.

"It's actually Corporal now, sir," Bardsley corrected, a slight smirk forming at the corner of his lips. Myers hooked his eyebrow and nodded, impressed by the man's climb up the ranks. "But you are right, Cap. We aren't actually here to see you."

"That's what I wanted to talk to you about, actually," Trent said, taking a step forward. "However, I got outranked."

"Outranked? By who?"

"By me," a voice called out. Zackary turned towards the door and saw a blonde haired woman walking towards him. She stuck her hand out and said, "Deputy Director of Operations Claire Reinhardt. It's a pleasure to meet you, Captain Myers."

He accepted the handshake, his eyes looking Claire up and down. She wore a gray pant suit with a deep blue shirt, black shoes, and a silver Rolex watch which caught the light from inside the office. Her light brown hair reached just above her shoulder and brushed against the base of her neck.

"So, not outranked... out bureaucracy-ed,"  Zack smiled and said, "It's a pleasure to meet you as well, DDO Reinhardt. So, you want to tell me what this is all about?"