Chapter 5: The Fire

Chelsea's pov

*2 hours later*

*soft thud*

It was enough to wake me up. It was that same noise I was hearing when I was on Skype with Brittany, Ashley, Kate, and Tristan. I laid very still so I could hear better. I heard it again, but even louder. I quietly and slowly got out of bed to investigate what was making that strange noise. I grabbed my phone and turned on the flashlight feature so I could see what I was doing. I opened my door and slowly walked out into the hallway. I looked around and didn't see anything that could've made the noise. I continued walking down the hallway and I heard another thud. It sounded like it came from downstairs, so I slowly and cautiously walked down the stairs shining my phone flashlight around, but didn't see anything. I made it all the way down to the floor and continued to investigate. I then heard a door slam. I jumped at the noise and I quickly went up the stairs to shine the flashlight at my bedroom door, but my bedroom door was still open, just like I left it. I went back downstairs to see which door slammed, but all the doors that I could see were either doors I knew were shut or they were open. The doors that were shut I knew weren't the source. The slamming sounded kind of.....distant. I then remembered there's a door that leads to the outside from the basement. Maybe that's the door, but I wasn't hearing the thuds anymore, so whatever was making the thuds must've left the house. I didn't remember leaving any doors open, let alone the basement door to the outside. I didn't even go to the basement at all during the day. I had a feeling someone broke in and left. I hope nothing was stolen downstairs. As I neared the basement door (to the inside), I was hearing what sounded like a crackling. I came to the door and I looked down only to find a glow underneath the crack. I gingerly opened the door only to find the entire basement on fire! I freaked out, shut the door, and ran away. I grabbed anything of value on the main floor, including pictures and the scrapbook Harry and I were making together. I also made sure to grab the flowers Harry got me, including the fake one on the coffee table. I ran back upstairs with a bag of everything I grabbed, along with my phone and went into Harry's office to grab anything that I thought might be of value. Once I grabbed all that, I ran into mine and Harry's bedroom to grab some stuff from the bathroom, the laptop, my iPod, the rest of the pictures we had, the gorgeous pendant I got from Harry (along with the rest of my jewelry), my keyring of keys, and some other miscellaneous things. I started to head back out the door, but I was halted by the sight of even more flames crawling up the stairs. That left only one escape route: the window. I knew I was gonna break a bone somewhere, but I could care less. I threw everything that I had grabbed out the window, cursing when I saw my phone hit the nearby pavement for the pool and shatter the screen. Everything else hit the grass, but my phone just had to hit the pavement. I then climbed out the window, and fell to the ground below.

I didn't land how I wanted. I landed on my knee on the pavement and I swear I heard something crack when I landed. I got up only to fall back down in pain. That's when I realized my knee must've been broken when I fell. Great. Just great. How am I gonna explain all this to Harry the next time I talk to him? I limped over to the nearest neighbors to use their phone since I tried seeing if my phone worked, in which it didn't. They graciously let me use their phone, but they were worried with me limping, so they went ahead and got on the line and asked to send paramedics to look at my knee. I felt fine, other than my knee was killing me. The neighbors walked with me back over to my house where the fire department and an ambulance were already there. The firefighters were trying to put out the flames, in which the entire house was already engulfed. If I had been inside another 10 minutes, I probably would've been dead and Harry absolutely would not like coming home to find his house gone and his girlfriend dead. That was the bad dream he had 2 months ago the night before he left with the lads. The paramedics took a look at my knee in the ambulance and they said I needed to go to the hospital for X-rays to see the damage more extensively.

*skip ride to hospital and X-rays*

"Well, Ms. Turner, it looks like it's a hairline fracture and you will need to wear this cast for a while. Exactly how long, I'm not sure, but in about a week or so, I'll call you on back here to take a look at it and see if it's getting any better. I would advise you not to put any weight on it at all, so I will send you home with a pair of crutches so you can get around. You can still drive, being it's your left knee, and it's your right leg you need to drive. Okay?"
"Okay." I said.
"Good. Just let me go get your release papers." he said as he walked out of the room. Not even 5 minutes later, I heard a knock.
"Ms. Turner?"
I looked up to see a police officer at the door. I assumed it was about the fire.
"You're 100% sure you were by yourself in the house all day?"
I hesitated before I said,
"I was hearing noises when I was talking with my best friends, that are back home in Michigan, on Skype, and it was like a soft thud I was hearing. Otherwise, I'm pretty sure I was by myself. After I went to bed, I heard it again and it woke me up. I went to investigate and I'm pretty sure someone broke into my basement at some point during the day because I heard a door slam and then nothing until I heard the crackling of the fire."
"Did you ever leave the house during the day?"
"Only once. When I went downtown to run some errands and then I stopped by my boyfriend's friend's place to visit with his girlfriend because she was feeling rather lonely due to the fact that our boyfriends, along with their 3 other best mates are on tour."
"Are you sure your boyfriend was on tour?"
I looked at him confused.
"Yes. My boyfriend and I talked on Skype before I went to bed and the background looked like he was in a hotel. Not someone's house."
"Well, the fire is completely out, and the firefighters declared this fire as suspicious. They dug through some of the remains of the house and......I really don't know how to tell you this......"
I waited for him to continue. My heart was pounding because I really didn't like where this was going. He took a deep breath and continued.
".....they found a body in the basement part. It is to be believed that the body is that of your boyfriend. Your boyfriend is Harry Styles of One Direction, right?"