Sixteen

As noon slowly approached, I was getting nervous. Though it wasn't advisable to keep our phone during work hours, I had slipped mine in my pocket. Suddenly the weight of it got more noticeable to me as I was anticipating a call or a message from him. And another hour before the dreaded lunch meet-up, I got fidgety. Luckily no one noticed. When it was time for my break, I was happy to get out of my station and headed to the staff locker room. I pulled out my phone and checked if I missed a call or text message. But I'm confident I didn't. Not when I was so attuned with every feeling or sound around me.

Thankfully, I didn't have to make the call when I saw Sebastian's name flashing on my screen. I quickly picked up and placed the phone in my ear.

"Hey," I greeted. "I've just clocked out."

"Oh, okay. I'm by the exit of the store. I didn't park unless we're walking to the place we're going."

I smiled. "No. We'll drive to save time. But it's close."

"Good. Then I'll see you."

"Be there in a minute." I ended the call and took off my work vest.

I checked my reflection for a second on my locker mirror. I pocked and caressed my flushed cheeks. And trailed down towards my lips, which were a bit dry. I grabbed a comb and brushed through my wavy dark hair, fighting to get it down. When I didn't, I decided to put it up into a ponytail. There wasn't I could do on my dry lips as I had lip gloss with me. And I had no confidence to ask one of my female co-workers for it.

Once I was done with my grooming, which was a poor description of it, I headed out of the store with my heart beating in my ears. I tried to ignore my outfit on the way there. Though I wore the only decent shirt and pants I own, it wasn't something I imagined myself wear on a lunch date.

No. This isn't a date, Jane. I hastily corrected my thoughts.

It wasn't difficult to find his car in the sea of parked vehicles. As he pointed out, he was indeed parked outside the exit. I quickly got in with a brief hello. But Sebastian didn't start the car just yet. He was still looking at me, which was slowly making me conscious.

"What?" I finally asked.

He smiled and shook his head. "Nothing. I just thought you looked lovely today," he commented as he started the car.

I peered away from him. My cheeks feeling flushed again. "Thank you. And you look lovely as well." And it wasn't out of courtesy. He did look lovely in a navy polo shirt with the sleeve rolled-up, showing his muscular arm, and dark denim jeans.

"Well, thank you too." He grinned. "So, where are we headed?" He asked as he stopped by the entrance of the store, facing the main street.

"Just turn right here. And five the three blocks, then another right. It's the first pizza place you see." I instructed.

"Got it." He nodded and followed suit.

We drove silently for a second. "How's work today? Anything interesting with a customer?" He asked, making idle chat.

"Nothing much, really. It was just another normal day," I replied. "How about you? Your day must have something interesting. I did use to be your patient."

He snorted but remained smiling. "Actually, there is something interesting today at work. But only if you perceive it as such. For me, it's just normal protocol and day at the hospital." He evasively answered.

I chuckled. "Then tell me. I'll be the judge of that."

He glanced briefly in my direction and went on. "Okay. Well, I had this patient who was admitted for surgery for a gallstone. Though he's capable of signing off on the surgery, his wife is not on speaking terms with him. And he doesn't want to surgery until his wife spoke to him. So, his children are trying to convince their mother to go meet with him before the surgery. Yet she refuses, and told her children to let their father die if that wants he wanted. She's not letting his condition be his armor to get an apology from her."