CHAPTER 1: The Fallout (Part 3)

- I'm scared, Johnny. I'm so scared. -Said Leonore.

- Don't worry love, everything's gonna be okay...

-Everything's gonna be okay? -She said increasing the volume of her voice.- Did you look around you? Did you see where we are? We are... Nowhere! There's nothing! Absolutely nothing! Just smoke, ash, dead people. Dead, you listen to me? And we're not talking about one or two, but entire families!

- And what the hell do you expect me to do? You're talking like if all of this was my fault. Like if I didn't realise the reality, like if I weren't about to collapse knowing that I've lost everything and everyone. Knowing that we all lost everything we once had. Some of them even their lifes! Damn, Leonore, do you really believe that this is easier for me than it is for you?

- You're right. I'm... I'm sorry. I don't know what happened to me. I shouldn't have acted that way, it's just that the situation is unbelieveable. It seems like it is a bad joke. I wish it was a joke! But no, it's real. The smell of death and smoke is completely real.

- Don't apologize, I'm feeling weird too. It's like if I had to fight against my own mind to not explode, let me go, scream and join to the destruction that surrounds me. Destroying everything that gets in my way. Destroying myself and just rest.

For a moment, the whole world went quiet. You could only hear the cracking of fire finishing the embers that were only surrounding ones to others. I looked at Leonore just to find and expression of complete terror and disbelief listening to the words of her lover.

- No... Hey, don't make that face. Of course I wasn't for real! I would never do that. I would never leave you alone. It's just that, as it happened to you, this whole situation surpasses me. I mean, it's not everyday that you're in a science-fiction book situation, where everything disappears from the face of the earth without a logic explanation, you know? -I said in a carefree, almost joking tone to let that issue completely in oblivion.- It won't happen again, for real. I'll be strong, and even if there's nothing left, as long as we're still here, even if maybe we are the last two people that are left in the world like we knew it, everything's gonna be okay.

- Oh my god, Johnny... -Leonore said swooping towards me while her voice cracked and the fire illuminated her tears that poured tirelessly from her eyes.- What the hell is all of this? What happened? Everything disappeared for real? Ain't there anything we could have done to avoid this?

- What are you saying? How could we avoid something that we can't even understand? I know as much as I do, but being realistic, yes. It seems that everything disappeared for real. Everything except you, except I, except us. And that's more of a reason to keep living. If this is the end of the world that they all talked about and just the skeptical ones believed, we'll said to the edge of the world and we'll see the stars fall down with us.

But what I didn't tell Leonore about, is that a part of myself, an old friend, knew that nothing I said was true.