Investigation

Chapter 19: Investigation

But then again. Despite hating each other, Hotarou still helped Rika on several occasions and even though Hotarou told Rika not to do anything in return, she still feels that she "owes" Hotarou.

Rika sighs again. "Anyway, how do I address both of you?"

"Oh, I'm Shura Kirigakure. And this dull-looking man beside me is Igor Neuhaus." Says Shura.

Igor seems to be pissed by that remark but he kept it in as soon as it shows. "Let's focus on objective, we have no time to lose."

Rika looks at the file and looks at the video again. Her eyes widen when she sees something. "This...information is wrong."

"Huh?!" That remark shocked the other three.

"From what I know, Hotarou's so-called 'otaku power' doesn't work like this." Says Rika. "He cannot control his power and it very much varies depending on his mood. It can be a nuisance but can also be a helping hand to Hotarou but the only huge flaw is its unpredictability."

"Wait, then this weird battle duration may be related to that as well." Says Shura.

"Not exactly, Hotarou's power is not the cause of that but most likely what Hotarou and the lady in the which costume are doing. They may have stopped fighting just to chat or one of them had already lost. My brother is very persistent, he will not give up that easily. That may be the cause of continuous battles." Says Rika.

A silence filled the room and Mephisto closes his eyes to think. Then he opens it and nods to the other two. The other two nods back and look to Rika.

"We have decided. Our top priority will be finding Hotarou's class, we are responsible for their safety. After that, we will find Hotarou is he is missing. We must question him about this." Says Shura.

Rika sighs again and nod. "Well, I will be taking my leave then."

As Rika leaves the room, she smirks. "Looks like it has started." She mumbles.

Mephisto somehow overheard Rika and becomes more suspicious of her. "What exactly are you hiding?" He mumbles.

"Principal?"

Shura's voice snapped him back. "Y-Yes?"

"We are going to investigate the area and try to find the missing class as well." Says Shura. Igor is at already standing at the door, prepared the leave.

"Alright then, I will leave that to the both of you." Says Mephisto.
---------
Rika walks back to her dormitory and packs her stuff for the transfer. That night will be the last night she stays in the dormitory before leaving it temporary. That also means that if she wants to investigate, she has no time to waste.

Checking whether anyone is investigating as well. when the coast is clear, Rika jumps out of her room through the window and lands perfectly on the grass without making a single sound. She then dashes towards the campsite as quickly as possible without making a single noise. She's the very embodiment of a skilled assassin.

Looks, talent, grade, Rika has everything a woman ever dreamt of. Her only flaw is her arrogance and bias towards man, especially Hotarou.

As she proceeds deeper into the woods. The smoke and smell become stronger so Rika slowed down as she needs to concentrate and control her breathing. But once at the camp, the smell is so thick that the surrounding nature died. No one is in the camp, Rika checked every single tent and cabin but there is no one at all. Only signs of struggling.
The tables are toppled, there are scratches on the wall and the tents are badly damaged, etc.

Rika wiped her forehead. She is getting restless from moving and controlling her breathing continuously.
But no pain no gain, her only clue is the area where the explosion occurred. She will have to go deeper into the forest.

Collapsed trees, holes in the dirt, blood. Many evidence of a battle taking place but no sight of anyone, not even a corpse. Until she arrived at the area where the battle took place. In an empty grass field, there was a huge hole in the middle. The source of the smoke seems to have disappeared and the smoke is dispersing.

But...there was something at the bottom of the hole. It looks like...a corpse?!

Rika jumps into the hole and inspects the amputated arm but it somehow seems familiar.
"Wait..."
The arm is wearing a watch, a brown common watch with a small sticker underneath.
"Don't tell me-"

Rika couldn't move, she just stood there, not believing her eyes. It's unavoidable, despite hating her brother, he is still her brother and he was always by her side for 17 years.

"Ho...ta...rou..."