Convene

Rebecca
I drew in one last breath before the door flew open. Xander stared at me with a vacant expression. Then he moved to the side and motioned for me to enter.

"The town seems to be coming along quite nicely." I stated as I removed my coat and handed it to him.

He smoothed my jacket as he folded it over his arm and gave me a simple nod in return. He reached to take my purse, and I glanced over the foyer for the other occupants, but none seemed to be home.

"Their out." He said as he began walking to the den with my belongings.

In one swift vamp motion, I rushed to place myself in front of him, blocking his path. "Out? Did I not clearly state my intentions for coming here? You were all to report on exactly what has transpired since I left. Along with your findings on the dagger that witch left behind."

"You were clear." His response left me less than pleased, but I lost my words when he took my hand and whirled me around to continue our walk to the next room.

Snatching my hand from his grasp, I quickened my pace and made my way to the sofa. "If my request had been so clear, where are the likes of your other fold members?" I hissed as I took a seat.

"As I already said, out." He replied and laid my things in the chair across from me. He sat down in the other matching seat.

Who the hell does he think he is?

"I suggest you broaden your answers and lessen your tone. Don't forget who I am. I'm not here as your friend." I growled my words and flashed my fangs as an added reminder.

"Do you have any idea how beautiful you look when you're angry?"

My fangs retracted. His boldness threw me off, but I found no humor in his words. "Speak to me like that again and I'll be taking your head home."

"You won't." He said. Then he reached for the scotch on the coffee table between us and poured it into the glass resting beside it.

Enough.

I shook my hand and rose to my feet, but he had already made his way to my side by the time I stood upright.

"Have a drink Rebecca. You seem a bit on edge." He held the drink toward my lips.

"Fuck off." I hissed and slapped the glass from his hand.

"Fine," he growled as he walked toward his chair again and sat down, "which would you like to hear about first? How you ordered us to kill numerous vampires and we did. We did so despite the rules you and your nephews held to power for so long. We compelled humans to forget family members they lost in all this. We compelled one to extract the dagger from the cell for us. We've scoured over our library to find answers to the dagger from her chest, but come up empty handed every time. And while we search for answers that don't exist, my brother searches for answers as well. Except he has an answer out there. And before you throw in your defense, I understand why you did what you did. But he can't exactly be here while I ask you a thousand questions on Jo. Quite frankly, I was the only one who could stand to see your face after what we have dealt with these past months. So you can drop the woman in charge act with me. We both know better. At this point you're flailing as much as the rest of us. So, as much as I care for you, I'm not putting up with the attitude. And you're not going to do anything about how I speak to you or how we handle Damion's pain. We both know Josephine matters to you and you won't hurt her. Which means you won't hurt us. Not to mention, you need us."

I clenched my jaw to keep from projecting my thoughts into actions. I wanted to rip him apart. The nerve of this vampire. He had been a fool in life and destroyed his entire family. Now he would dare lecture me. No, he had no idea of the amount of loss and pain I had known through my thousands of years. Barely over two hundred himself, he had spoken out of turn and beyond out of line.