Divulgence

"Do you trust me?"

It was my last question, before my life would become unraveled. Damion's eyes were searching mine. His face soft with worry. We were both curled into a knot on the bed, still recovering from the hours we had spent evaiding my confessions.

"With my life baby. Now, tell me what's going on in that head of yours." His finger traced delicately over my jaw as he spoke. I shuttered from my own disconcerting thoughts.

"Do you remember me telling you about my dreams?"

"Of course." He nodded against the pillow, and pulled my chin to face him.

"Well, what if I told you, my dreams were about you?" My lungs paused in their work, waiting for his response.

"I don't mind you having those kinds of dreams about me Jo." He smiled and I bit my lip, knowing I would have to throw out more information before he understood.

I unleashed myself from his grasp and sat up in the bed, resting my back on the headboard while I pulled the sheets to my chest.

"Damion, they aren't those kinds of dreams. They're dreams about vampires. Dreams about my life as one, as a different person."

My eyes watched his body flex as he sat up and propped himself up next to me.

"You want to be one?" He asked, his face displaying both disappointment and disapproval.

"No. No, I never wanted to be one. I already was in these dreams. I don't want to now, in reality I mean, and I know you can't turn me anyway."

He raised his chin as he looked me over. I could tell he was contemplating my words, deciding the best way to respond.

"How long have you had these dreams?" He finally let out, still keeping his jaw clenched as he waited.

"They started a few months after Matthew died. My husband, I mean. He was in an accident, just went off the road. No one witnessed it. A bystander came across the car. I was a wreck myself after that. When the dreams started, I threw up almost every morning. I felt violated. Tortured. I didn't want to sleep, or eat, or live, but the dreams eventually won out. I barely left the house, and sleep was the one thing my body continued to push for. That was nearly four years ago now."

I watched as everything registered in his eyes. Pain. Sorrow. Empathy. Most of all..anger.

"Four years? You dreamed of vampires for four years and you didn't think to tell me? You knew me?"

This was more of the reaction I had expected. Minus the physical decomposition I would have predicted early on.

"Damion, stay calm."

"This is calm!" His eyes were growing red around the edges as he spoke. He was far from calm, but he wouldn't harm me, and for the first time, I wasn't afraid of his temper in the real world.

"I'm not asking. I said calm down." A command. A command from a mate. I wasn't playing fair, but the odds weren't necessarily in my favor at the time.

I watched the red rims die down as his body fell further into the headboard. It had to be frustrating for him, answering to someone else. I knew how the bond worked, but I hadn't yet felt the pull myself. Perhaps it was my lack of ability to be compelled deadening my senses to it. Perhaps I was wrong.

"Thank you." I let out, pecking his cheek as he glared at me in annoyance. "Listen, I didn't know you. I didn't know a lot of details of my dreams this past year. They faded with time. They even faded on the mornings I would wake from them. It all lasted about three years. Then, I moved to Blackwater."