Innocence

Gray skies.

It would be another dreary day for this small town. Truth be told, I actually preferred it this way. My husband and I had moved to L.A. when we first got married. His job insisted he help market the firm out there. I hated the city. I hated the beaches. Peroxide and tanned limbs where not my thing, but the money he made was good for a couple starting out. He made the city bearable. He made everything tolerable in honesty. He was my rock, my love, my everything. Neither of us had a family to run to, if things got hard. We just had each other. Now, I had no one.

As I headed into work, I caught a glimpse of our picture on the dash. I kept him with me as often as I could. Reminding me to drive safe. To live safely. His death had nearly driven me mad. Perhaps, it already had. Moving to a town on a whim, was more than illogical. Moving, based on reoccurring dreams, was even crazier, but I had no one left to talk me down from the decision.

I never quite made it to my destination. I lived in a town, right on the outskirts of my supposed dream land. Without any previous work experience, I had only been able to land a job as a local bartender. The drive took about twenty minutes, but it got me into the town. Rent was far, too, high for me there. It was easier to find a place, in the less privileged area I came to call my new home. White picket fences would never be my thing. That much I knew for sure. Even if my apartment was in the more dangerous area, I preferred it over the residential replicas.

The parking lot was already full when I arrived. I enjoyed working the late shift. Tips were better, and I always knew upon arrival, how good or bad the night was going to be. It wasn't a fancy establishment. Most of the locals knew me well and greeted me by name as I walked in to set up. I switched out the register with Stacy. She was one of my favorite co-workers. The bar was always left in order when we switched over. Almost everything was restocked for the next shift, and on our busy nights, she had no problem staying to help out.

"Good afternoon Jo." She smiled, as I placed my bar key into the pocket of my jeans and slipped into my apron.

Josephine is my real name. Josephine Angela Grace. A mouthful of first names, but my maiden name had been Starnes. There was no reason to keep it. The name meant nothing to me. Just a label. Something to get me by until I found a name worth keeping.

"Good afternoon Stacy." I smiled back. "Looks busy today. Do you want to stay tonight and help out? I feel like we haven't worked together in forever." I didn't need her to stay. Handling the bar wouldn't be a problem. In all honesty, I just wanted the company. She was the only substantial friend I had made since moving. We had hung out after work a few times. Sometimes we would just stay at the bar after hours and talk, while we knocked back a few drinks.

The owner was kind enough to allow two or three to employees after work. Sometimes he would even offer us a ride home if we needed it. Mr. Blake was a laid back man. I didn't know if he had a family. He seemed like the type that would, always worrying about the well-being of others. Once, I had been a couple hundred bucks shy of rent. He caught me crying on my break about it. Without me even asking, he loaned me the money. It was when I first started. I wasn't the best at my job yet, and it showed in my tip income. Things had improved since, but he never allowed me to pay him back. I did in other ways though. Making sure to be on call whenever he needed. Picking up shifts was the most plausible way I could help him out.

"I can't stay tonight. Wish I could. I've missed hanging out with you, but I've got a hot date." She winked as she finished wiping down the bar.

"Oh, a date. Who's the lucky guy?" I laughed. I knew it would be someone from the bar. She had a habit of accepting advances from the men that came in. I couldn't blame her. It was an easy way to earn a free meal. I didn't extend the offer very often though. Most of the customers were regulars, and I would hate the awkward exchange to follow.