Chapter 02

Shred of Hope

According to Rachel, the field-trip crew was supposed to be heading on the trip after the third period. Since Elianne just finished her spare block, she went over to her locker to grab her travelers' bag, as a small suitcase would be too much since this was only a weekend trip. Looking over to the time, she grew cold as it had been five minutes since the third block ended. Quickly grabbing the bag and closing the locker, she jogged towards the main entrance.

Standing there were her three other classmates: Margot, Sam, and Billy.

Though she didn't talk a lot to Margot, Elianne always felt that she tried to be the popular nerd. If that made sense at all, was beyond her. Margot always gave off those judgmental vibes, though she attempted to act nicely face-to-face.

Sam, on the other hand, was always that cute friend, and while he never admitted it, it was quite clear that he was gay. Elianne wasn't one to call people out, but she couldn't believe that Sam could be straight.

When Billy turned around, he noticed Elianne. His hands were tucked into his pockets. Her pals would claim that she had lost her mind because she always found some feature of him intriguing. She couldn't deny that the boy was attractive . . . and rude on several occasions.

Margot took note of Elianne and gave her a phoney, warm grin. With a toothy grin on his face, Sam simply waved. The girl returned their waves shyly and continued to wait for the teacher with the rest of the children.

"I didn't know you were heading on the same trip as us, Eli," Margot started.

"I am," Elianne replied. "It was a pretty last-minute decision."

"You should certainly change your dress, this is a formal function," Margot stated, her gaze firmly shifting. Elianne felt self-conscious as she looked at her yellow ⸺ well, now it was a semi-yellow ⸺ outfit. She wore casual outfits all the time and didn't believe that would be an issue.

Billy must've noticed Elianne's uncertain gaze and spoke up, "I don't think she asked, Margot."

"I didn't ask for your opinion either, Billy," Margot shot back.

A blue minivan pulled up in front of the kids at that precise moment. Rachel came out stumbling, a faint smile on her lips. This made Elianne feel better because she knew she wouldn't have to be in the middle of an almost heated argument much longer.

"I have two seats at the very back and two in the middle," Rachel pointed out, opening up the back seats. "Who wants to head up back to start?"

Margot immediately denied it, claiming that she is easily claustrophobic. Sam simply shook his head, and the teacher turned to Elianne, expecting a reaction. Nobody else was willing to go, so the girl nodded slowly. She turned and went to the back.

Plus, it wasn't like she really had a choice. She didn't want to be that person.

"Well, that's gotta be upsetting, you'll be all alone," Margot sympathized, yet she had a mean grin on her face.

"That's not a big deal," Rachel said looking over to the only student who hadn't said anything yet. "Billy, do you want to head to the back or ride shotgun?"

For a moment Billy looked like he was about to agree on riding in the passenger seat, but it took practically everyone by surprise when he quietly headed to the back of the car.

Billy consented to sit with Elianne for reasons unknown to Elianne, however it was likely because he wanted to nap without distractions. She shifted uneasily in her seat and, like the rest of them, buckled up.

Sam took the opportunity of the empty seat at the very front and switched his spot, leaving Margot alone in the middle this time.

Though her reasonable self wished to avoid engaging in conversation with Billy, Elianne's sensible self simply needed someone to talk to. Margot was a clear no-no, and you could only converse to Sam for so long before the topic became monotonous. Of course, she meant no disrespect to him. And then, what would she say to Rachel since she was the teacher? Have you finished marking the assignment? Billy seemed like a nice guy to talk to, and he was sitting next to her. Even if they did talk, no one would notice.

"Are you looking forward to this trip?" she mustered.

Billy locked his gaze on her and scrutinised her features, attempting to determine whether or not Elianne's words were genuine.

"Yeah," he replied, not a clue of enthusiasm hidden in his voice.

She nodded, disappointed that this was all he had to say. "And are you a fan of performing?"

"Yes."

"What monologue did you prepare for the first round?"

"Something."

"Ah, a surprise. So, were you⸺"

"Is this an interview or something?" Billy questioned, one eyebrow arched upward.

"You're very boring . . ." Elianne wished she had only thought those words.

He gave her a sidelong glance, chewing his lower lip in what she prayed wasn't an annoyance. "I'm sure I am. I also understand that you don't have to force yourself to speak with me. So simply let it go."

But I wasn't putting any pressure on myself! Maybe all she wanted to do was talk to someone ⸺ him.

She turned to look at him again a few moments later, and to her astonishment, he was staring right back at her, albeit slightly struggling. "I know of some schools that go on week-long field trips."

"Wow, Yipee . . ." He tsked with a half-smile.

Elianne hadn't mentioned it before, but in the brilliant light, with only faint remnants of quiet music playing in the background, she found herself smiling at the fact that she had managed to make Billy chuckle. Even if it wasn't precisely one, it had to count, right?

"Billy, I brought the test," Rachel said, peering back in the rear-view mirror at Billy. His drab demeanour had returned. He shifted tensely and gazed out the window once more. "You're taking it this weekend, no excuses."

"Uh, what test?" Margot asked curiously. She probably already knew the answer to that, but just wanted to intimidate the boy.

"Take care of yourself, Margot."

The blonde student wasn't having any of it. "Oh, the Gatsby test? Why didn't Billy take⸺"

"Margot." Rachel shook her head in warning.

"Sorry."

Elianne took a moment to delicately tap on Billy's shoulder after the tension had lessened barely a beat. He cast a peek in her direction, waiting for her to continue. "About the test. . ."

"Look, if you're gonna ask me why I didn't take it, you're not in luck ⸺ I'm not telling you."

"No, no," she said, "I just . . . when you do take it, good luck I guess?"

Billy stared blankly at her, blinking owlishly. Shaking his head, he cleared his throat to hopefully rid the slight embarrassment he felt. "Err . . . Sure. Thanks."