❾ 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐁𝐮𝐥𝐥𝐞𝐭 𝐇𝐨𝐥𝐞

⚠️ CONTENT WARNING ⚠️

A message from the author:

You see that warning at the top? It should really say MAJOR content warning, because what happens and what is said in the chapter is extremely depressing, disturbing, and incredibly dark. This chapter deals with mature, troubling themes that might upset a lot of readers. Take this warning into account and please be cautious when reading this chapter.

This is your last chance to click off. If you are easily disturbed, I might suggest reading something lighter.

If you continue, don't say I didn't warn you.

Thank you for understanding.

•••

Vinnie

Sunday

The morning atmosphere is nothing new.

Sun shines in through the windows, illuminating the dust mites as they float through the air. The birds are singing their own choruses off on some tree, and, it's relatively quiet. Tranquil. I should feel relaxed right now. At peace.

But, I'm not, for some reason.

Something feels different. Something feels wrong.

I look around the car interior, where I had spent the night.

The blankets are over my naked body. I feel overheated and sweaty, my fur is sticky, it's a mess.

Suddenly, my brain returns to what had happened last night. My mind runs over every detail; every one thing that led to another; every feeling, every memory made. 

Last night was amazing.

Excitedly, I look to my side on the car seats.

Mason isn't here.

That's what feels wrong.

My body goes through an abrupt rush of doom as I begin to worry about my special fox. I fumble around, not knowing what to do first, pulling the blankets off of me. My fur and skin are somehow stuck to the leather seats, and I have to pry myself off of them, grabbing my jeans from the floor of the car. I can't find my underwear anywhere. I put the jeans on anyway.

I opened the car door almost immediately, running out, my bare feet hitting the coarse dirt and twigs on the forest floor. I flash my head from right to left, in search of my orange-furred fox. Once my head had fully reached the left side of my vision, I saw him.

The rays of the sun, breaking through the trees, place their spotlight on him. He's standing at the edge of the cliff. He didn't bother to put any clothes on. 

My mind traces back to another memory made a few nights ago: when Mason was about to jump off the bridge. I feel my whole body surge with terror, and in an instant, I dart over to him. 

"MASON!" I shout, wondering if it's too late. He's so close to falling off into the abyss of a deeper, darker forest.

But, he looks back at me.

I stop running. I feel small rocks and sticks stabbing the bottom of my feet, but I don't care.

The expression on his face seems confused.