❻ 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐌𝐚𝐝 𝐃𝐚𝐬𝐡

•••

Vinnie

I never got the chance to ask where we were going.

Initially, Mason just told me to drive, and now, he's asleep in the passenger seat. I don't want to wake him up, but I really need to know where we're heading.

I've been driving for almost three hours now. It's three in the morning. As time went on as I drove, I started to question what the plan was. We just sort of jumped into this without any goal in mind. Mason had told me that this was a good thing, that we were leaving our chains, our hopeless lives behind.

But what's worse: bearing chains in a safe environment, or no chains with danger all around?

I really need to know what the fuck is going on.

I'm starting to worry. My head is getting dizzy and I'm trying my best to stay awake.

Is this a good thing? Are me and Mason safe? What happens now?

I look in the back seat for only a moment.

On paper, we seem to be fine. We had clothes, money, a car, each other...

But how long can that safety last for us, realistically?

My eyes turn to Mason. His hoodie is over his head, which is rested on the window. His feet, dressed in his Converse shoes, are up on the dashboard. His chair is reclined.

I have to trust him. He will know what to do. I trust him.

After all, he was the one who got us into this situation, right?

I have to trust him.

I have... to... trust him...

HONK!

I hear the sound of a car horn blaring out as I see two headlights shine directly in front of me, coming closer to us at a speed that seemed to be faster than light.

Shit.

I grab ahold of the wheel and spin it. The car swerves and we just dodge the truck that was gunning us down, barely clipping our left-wing mirror.

Mason yelps in fear as we deviate down the narrow road, diverging from the yellow lines that are supposed to help drivers get a sense of direction. We veered off the road, sliding into a wet, grassy area, our tires getting caught in the mud.

There were a few pros and cons to this. Con: we were stuck in the mud. Pro: the mud saved us from driving into the forest and crashing the car, possibly killing us or leaving us stranded with no car at all.

"What the hell, Vinnie?!" Mason gasped, unbuckling his seatbelt and scrambling to sit up.

"I'm sorry, I was, just... dozing off," I responded with a murmur, not liking it when Mason raises his voice.

"You almost fell asleep?"

"I, uh..."

"Fuck, Vincenzo." Mason sneered, pulling the lever on the chair in order to raise it.

"Hey, don't get angry at me, alright?" I snapped back. "You were the one who pulled us out of bed at one in the morning,"

"Sorry for trying to save your life," Mason said with a scoff.

He was beginning to irritate me.

"'Save my life'. Mason, what the fuck are we doing?"

"What do you mean?"