Chapter Thirty-Nine

"No!" Nightshrike staggered, head-spinning as the tom revealed the news to her. Thorntail was gone. The love of her life was dead. What could she do? She couldn't bring him back, he was gone forever. But how did Clearstar die? Didn't he have nine lives from StarClan?

Lichenstorm ducked his head and pressed against her, whispering soothing words to the she-cat. "It'll be okay, Nightshrike." He meowed and rasped his tongue over her ear. It felt like a tree was crushing her lungs. She could hardly breathe, how could she live without Thorntail?

"Where is Clearstar's body?" Her throat felt raw and her voice cracked. This must be what Halfsnow felt when Thorntail chose me over her. This must be heartbreak. She looked at Lichenstorm and followed him as he led her through the Clan that was battered and bloody. When they reached the leader's dead body, Nightshrike felt sicker than she had in moons. Clearstar allowed me into his Clan without hesitation. He trusted me in giving me an apprentice and the position as deputy. Now, he's trusting me with being leader of the Clan he has left behind. The world around her spun as she comprehended what happened. First Deerstripe, then Gorsewhisper, then Voletuft, then Thorntail, and now Clearstar. She dug her claws into the ground, her heart turning to stone as she swung her head around. "Shellfur!" She yelled.

The gray spotted tom turned his head from patching Robinfire and tilted his head. "Yes, Nightshrike?" He prompted, tail flicking.

"Timberskip and I will be going to the Moonpool at once, make sure every cat is seen and taken care of." She ordered and flicked her tail to Lichenstorm. "Lichenstorm is in charge of the camp until we return. This will not be a failure for DawnClan." Nightshrike's voice hardened. "This is the day we prove that we're stronger than the other Clans!"

**********

The air was crisp and cold as Timberskip and Nightshrike reached the Moonpool, their paws cold and calloused from walking so far in the bitter cold. Nightshrike glanced at the medicine cat before bounding into the cave where the starry pool of water lay, glistening with the secrets only the stars knew.

"Lap at it for a second," instructed Timberskip as he settled down in a crouch in front of the pool. Nightshrike did the same, the fur on her spine rising. Fear crashed into her at the thought of speaking with the spirits of the cats she slew.

Without a word to the brown tom, Nightshrike lapped gently at the water. She was shocked at just how cold the pool of water was, even in early Leafbare. Tiredness pawed at her and it crept up her paws, consuming her until she closed her eyes. When she opened them, she was in the starry fields of StarClan with nine cats around her. Some of them had white outlines and stars in their fur and the others had red outlines and faded pelts.

One of the red-outlined cats padded towards her, making Nightshrike tense and unsheathe her claws. "Do not fear, Nightshrike." Purred the cat, who was most likely a she-cat. "With this life, I give you a thirst for revenge. It will fuel you to crush those who stood in your path moons ago." She touched her nose to Nightshrike's forehead and she felt a fierce desire for revenge claw at her insides, making her draw her lips back in a growl as the pain subsided and the she-cat padded away.

A cat Nightshrike never thought she'd see headed her way. Deerstripe's light gray tabby pelt was sleek and groomed, much different than when she was an elder in OakClan. Her yellow eyes fixed on Nightshrike, making her both uncomfortable and happy at the same time. Her once bony shoulders were broad and muscled, looking like the warrior she used to be before Nightshrike was born. "With this life, I give you regret. You have made many mistakes and you have yet to feel a sliver of regret. Hopefully, this life will change that." Something dark clawed Nightshrike's heart, making an ache form and she was shocked at how much it hurt. This is regret. She thought, struggling to push it away as Deerstripe sat down away from her.