Chapter Twenty-Three

Nightshrike groaned and opened her eyes, finding herself in Reedpaw's new den. She saw the apprentice's back turned to her and sorting through some herbs. She blinked, seeing the clouds outside in the gray sky. It's going to snow soon. She thought with dread.

Her head ached and her whole body was sore from her fight with Rowantail. Memories of her scuffle with the dark ginger tom flooded her mind and the image of Deerstripe and Gorsewhisper's split necks made her unsheathe her claws. He killed a beloved elder and a respected warrior in cold blood.

"You're awake," mewed Reedpaw, turning to Nightshrike with sadness glittering in his green eyes. "You're lucky that Rowantail didn't kill you when your head hit the ground. He had you where he wanted you and he only killed Gorsewhisper." Grief cracked the tom's voice and Nightshrike flattened her ears.

"How are Voletuft, Dawnflame, and Songscratch coping?" She croaked, lifting her head and watching as the world spun. Nightshrike gagged and with a heave, a mound of slime sat in front of her with a bitter taste in her mouth.

Reedpaw scooped up a wad of moss and pushed the gunk away and buried it beneath the ground. He stared at where the vomit was and sighed, shoulders sagging. "They were quite shocked, but I gave them some thyme and camomile so they could calm down and grieve without causing a ruckus." He meowed.

"How are you coping?" Nightshrike asked, sitting up groggily. She studied her brother, seeing him drop her gaze and shuffle his paws. "Reedpaw?"

Reedpaw flattened his ears, eyes flashing with despair. "Rowantail used to be an honorable warrior, Nightshrike. He was respected by his Clanmates and the other Clans." His voice cracked. "Why would he just up and kill two cats? Gorsewhisper had more seasons to live and Deerstripe could've done so much more for the Clan."

Nightshrike opened her mouth but dropped her head. "Reedpaw," she meowed carefully. "Every cat has to die eventually. Some sooner than others and we have to accept it and move on."

Reedpaw lashed his tail. "We can't move on from some deaths, can we? They just stick with us like a tick and refuse to let us rest." He sounded bitter and Nightshrike glanced up at him. He let out a long sigh and looked over at her. "You should get something to eat while I collect more herbs. I'll have Wrenpaw and Swiftpaw get some more moss."

Nightshrike didn't argue. I don't want to be in here any longer than I have to. She thought and dipped her head to her brother as she padded by and stepped into the camp. What she saw, surprised her slightly.

Volepaw, Pinepaw, Amberpaw, Applepaw, Snowpaw, and Goldenpaw were practicing their battle moves in the corner next to the nursery where Voletuft was leaving the den with a dandelion between her teeth. Nightshrike's mother had a sorrowful gleam in her eyes and she dragged her tail behind her as she headed for the camp entrance.

Wrenpaw and Swiftpaw were speaking with Cloverleap, comforting her about something that Nightshrike would rather not know about. As she turned her head, her eyes narrowed as she saw Halfthroat stalking up to her with his eyes narrowed and tail flicking.

"You're awake," he meowed gruffly. Nightshrike nodded, feeling awkward that she was speaking with her former mentor after she completed her training. "We are meeting in a quarter moon at the lakeside. You better be there."

Nightshrike tensed and nodded, watching Halfthroat storm away towards Ivyheart made her relax. Who will be meeting this time? She wondered and limped towards the fresh-kill pile. Her shoulders ached from hitting the tree and her shoulder wound burned under the cobwebs and marigold. Get through it like a warrior, Nightshrike. Meowed the voice and she ground her teeth together.

As she reached the prey-pile, she saw a thin mouse and a squirrel. Hungrily, she snatched the squirrel and ate it in a few famished gulps. Swiping her tongue over her lips, she looked around and saw Iceleaf and Flightclaw talking quietly, their heads close together.

Rosespring and Marigoldscar were drinking from the stream that ran through camp and Nightshrike approached them, eager for a refreshing gulp of ice-cold water. As she settled next to Marigoldscar, she lapped at the water, gasping at how cold it was. She kept drinking until her throat burned from the cold and her tongue was tired. Pulling away, she dipped her head to the two warriors and padded off.

She had no idea where she was going but she headed for the leader's den. As she passed by, Nightshrike heard voices inside. They were hushed and quiet, but she could make out a few words. The cats inside were Spiderstar and Frostgaze, speaking to each other urgently.

"...Clan...kits...nursery...Iceleaf..." Was all she could hear from where she was standing, her ears angled towards the den inside the tree. Iceleaf is expecting kits? Nightshrike was shocked. But she's so old! Surely she can't have kits at her age. Is she is having kits, who is the father?

She shook her head and bounded away, not wanting to eavesdrop any longer. Turning her attention to her returning mother, Nightshrike padded towards Voletuft. "Are you okay?" She asked.

Her mother glanced at her, making her blood go cold. Her once lively, filled with love amber eyes were shadowed with exhaustion and grief from losing the one cat she fell in love with. "We're all suffering, Nightshrike," Voletuft whispered and her daughter tensed. "Are you suffering?"

Nightshrike didn't know what to say to her grieving mother. She looked at her mother, worried and she closed her mouth. Am I suffering? She asked herself as Voletuft shook her head softly and padded away, ears down.

Nightshrike watched her go, anger and resentment building up inside her. Rowantail will pay for what he has done to my family. She curled her lip into a silent snarl as she stalked towards the camp entrance. He and his Clan will suffer for what he did. My wrath of revenge will cause chaos in his Clan; the same chaos that he has invoked in me.