Chapter Thirty

Nightshrike lifted her head, her dead thrush laying beneath her paws as she waited for Stormbird and Robinfire to catch up. Two days passed since Clearstar had welcomed her into his Clan and Nightshrike was doing well. While not completely used to the territory, she had been trying to get on as many patrols as she could to earn the respect of her fellow warriors.

During those two days, Thorntail would talk with her whenever they weren't on patrols or helping around the camp. Since Fennelfur's kits, Leafkit and Jaykit weren't three moons old yet, the warriors were tasked by Echospeck to take on apprentice duties. Even though Hollowstream reminded her painfully of Deerstripe, Nightshrike spent as much time as she could with the former deputy.

She had gotten close with a couple of DawnClan's warriors rather quickly and soon, Nightshrike had a small group of friends she would constantly be patrolling with. Stormbird, Robinfire, Poppybee, and Larkflight were her little followers that Nightshrike appreciated. Only their loyalty, though. She reminded herself. I wouldn't want any divided loyalty in my followers.

"Great catch, Nightshrike." Purred Stormbird, looking at her prey. "Scrawny, but it'll keep Leafkit and Jaykit from wailing about their empty bellies all night long."

Robinfire nudged Stormbird, eyes sparkling. "Let's get the rest of our prey and head back." She suggested. "Wouldn't want to catch a cold."

Nightshrike nodded silently and picked up her thrush, padding with Stormbird to her right and Robinfire to her left as they headed for the place they buried their catches. Nightshrike caught two measly mice and her thrush, Robinfire caught a vole and a squirrel, and Stormbird caught a crow and another thrush. In all, it was a pretty good hunt for a cold Leafbare morning.

As they padded into the camp, Timberskip and Shellfur greeted them. "Nice hunt?" Mused Timberskip, eyeing the vole Robinfire was carrying. The she-cat nodded and dropped the animal.

"Want it?" She asked, eyes glinting with amusement. "I know vole is your favorite." Timberskip licked his lips hungrily and nodded, snatching the vole in his jaws.

"Thank you," he mumbled, his words muffled by the prey in his mouth. "Come on, Shellfur, we have to sort the marigold and comfrey."

"Coming," meowed the spotted tom as she grabbed a mouse and hurried after his mentor, eyes flashing with playfulness as they disappeared into the medicine cat den.

Nightshrike headed for the fresh-kill pile, which was decently stocked considering Leafbare was in full swing. After dropping off her prey, she looked around for Thorntail. Instead, Larkflight trotted up to her, eyes gleaming with excitement. "What's got your tail in a twist?" She teased.

Larkflight nipped her ear playfully and shook out his fur. "Whiteblaze went to Timberskip and Shellfur when she woke up and found out some amazing news!"

Nightshrike nodded. "What was it?" She pressed, tail flicking as she studied the rather eager tom.

"She's expecting my kits!" He cried, grinning from ear to ear. "I can't wait! I'm going to be a father!" Nightshrike smiled half-heartedly. Will Thorntail and I ever have kits? Her dream shot to her mind, making her flush. Will it ever become true?

"That's great, Larkflight," purred Stormbird as she and Robinfire trotted up to the pair. "I'm sure Whiteblaze is just as excited as you are."

"Maybe even more so to get the kits out of her." Added Robinfire, sharing an amused glance with Nightshrike. "How far along is she?" She asked, looking at Larkflight.

"About half a moon," replied the tom, about ready to burst with happiness. "Can you believe it? There'll be little versions of me and Whiteblaze running all around here in a moon and a half!"

"I can't wait for new kits, honestly." Admitted Robinfire, sitting down. "As much as Leafkit and Jaykit are great to have around, they don't have any other playmates than each other."

"When I was in the nursery as a kit," Stormbird mewed. "I had Shellfur, Larkflight, Otterfire, Petalfire, Robinfire, Sparrowflower, and Thornbite as playmates." She let out a long sigh. "I can't imagine how lonely only having your sibling to talk to in the nursery."

Robinfire flicked Stormbird on the shoulder with her tail, eyes glinting. "Don't worry, at least you have me to rant to." She teased and Nightshrike saw Stormbird's cheek flush.

"Sadly," purred the dark gray tabby she-cat. Robinfire whined in fake pain and Stormbird rubbed her cheek against hers. "But I love you."

Nightshrike gagged as they started to argue about who loved who more and she turned away, head shaking. She saw Halfsnow and Dewpath with Fennelfur and her kits talking by the nursery and the thought crossed her mind yet again. Will I ever have a family with Thorntail?