Chapter Eighteen

The next morning came slowly to Nightshrike, still eager to meet with Thorntail that night. What will we do? It's almost Leafbare, so what if we get cold? Her cheeks warmed at that question and she shook her head.

Rising begrudgingly to her paws, Nightshrike heaved herself out of the warrior's den, her paws still aching from the trek back to camp from the Gathering. Last night was a great night for all the Clans, not just for me.

As she looked around the clearing, she saw Goldenkit, Amberkit, and Snowkit surrounding Applekit. The she-kit's fur was fluffed out with fear and her eyes shone in terror.

Nightshrike's paws worked faster than her mind and she was suddenly halfway across the clearing towards the litter of kittens. Goldenkit was hissing at his sister.

"We don't want to play with you!" He hissed, glaring at Applekit. "You're named after a traitorous leader!"

"That's right!" Agreed Amberkit. "You don't fit in with us anymore!"

"But I did nothing wrong!" Wailed Applekit, eyes wide and fearful. "What did I do to you to deserve this?"

Snowkit sniffed. "Your name is what you did," the brown tabby kit flung out a paw and hit Applekit on the head.

"Hey!" Nightshrike shouted, startling all four kits. "That's enough!" She glared at the three bullies, her neck fur rising. Applekit shouldn't have to go through what I went through as a kit.

"N-Nightshrike!" Squeaked Snowkit, her eyes wide with fear. "W-we weren't doing anything, I swear!"

Nightshrike glared at the kit, tail lashing. "Go to your mother and tell her what you did to your sister." She ordered, glaring at each of the kits. "I'll talk to Applekit alone, now go."

The three kits scattered in all different directions. Nightshrike shook her head and looked down at a scared Applekit, her heart softening slightly. "Are you okay?" She asked, sitting down next to the small kit.

Applekit nodded, though she trembled. "Y-yeah," she whispered. "Thanks, I think."

Nightshrike purred with amusement, wrapping her tail around the kit and pulling her closer. "Never let them get to you, Applekit." She meowed. "Applestar's betrayal and your name have no connection, no matter what your littermates say."

The kit nodded and Nightshrike rose to her paws and began to pad away, but Applekit's call stopped her. She turned her head to look at the kit in confusion.

"What was it like being a kit for you?" Applekit asked, head tilting. "Did you and your siblings get along?"

Nightshrike didn't respond right away, pulled into a memory of bitterness and hurt. She was in the nursery with Songkit, Dawnkit, Littlekit, Honeykit, Aspenkit, and Reedkit.

"Let's go inside and play hide-and-seek!" Nightkit squeaked, already bounding inside. She looked over her shoulder, seeing Reedkit following her with happy green eyes.

She didn't have the chance to look back when she slammed into someone, making the two cats toppling over each other. To her dread, she'd slammed right into Songkit.

The light tabby kit let out a yelp and crashed to the ground with Nightkit squishing him to the ground. "Get off me, you tick!" He growled, shoving the black-furred kit off.

Nightkit fell on her back with a gasp, looking fearfully up at Songkit as he towered over her. "I-I'm sorry!" She whimpered, scrambling away.

Songkit let out a hiss and sprang at Nightkit, sending her skidding in the dust. Claws sliced through her pelt and through her thin skin, making her cry out in pain.

Warriors: Divided Loyaltyजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें