Chapter Seventeen

Nightshrike limped next to Tawnywillow as they headed for the Gathering Hollow. Her wounds from the battle with GlacierClan stung like fury, but she refused to show it. Weakness is strength to your opponent. She reminded herself.

Spiderstar led them, Iceleaf next to him. The two were quietly talking, making Nightshrike quicken her pace to hear what they were saying.

"-ell them." Iceleaf was meowing, her voice urgent. "We have to warn them that he's out there."

"I don't think he's much of a threat," Spiderstar flicked his ear. "If he is, we will warn the Clans."

Iceleaf flattened her ears. "And if he joins one of the Clans?" She prompted, making Nightshrike narrow her eyes in suspicion. What are you up to, Iceleaf?

Spiderstar didn't look at her as he replied. "Then good for him." He meowed and pressed on, making Iceleaf huff in annoyance. Nightshrike watched as Iceleaf rolled her eyes and slowed her pace until she was silently walking with Nightshrike.

Nightshrike paid no attention to the deputy and slowed to a halt as Spiderstar raised his tail. "Let's go," he meowed and bounded down into the hollow that was filled to the brim with cats.

The stench of GlacierClan and DawnClan made Nightshrike sick but she forced the gag in her throat down. NightClan wasn't there yet so she looked around for cats to talk to.

Nightflower, Swiftfang, and Lionflight were speaking with some DawnClan warriors and Nightshrike steered clear from them. I don't want to talk to someone I just fought with.

Spotting Thorntail with a group of his Clanmates intrigued Nightshrike and she found herself padding towards the tom, tail high. Thorntail noticed her first and she felt warm as his eyes rested on her.

"Nightpaw!" He meowed warmly, twitching his tail next to him. "Why do you look so battered?"

"Thorntail!" Scolded a brown tabby she-cat Nightshrike had never seen before. "Be nice!"

"Sparrowsong!" Called a gray speckled she-cat with blue eyes and Nightshrike noticed she was Ashpaw. "Come here! Tawnypaw and Foxpaw are in an argument again."

Sparrowsong sighed in annoyance and rose to her paws, already scowling at the two apprentices by the time Nightshrike sat down in front of Thorntail.

"How've you been, Nightpaw?" Asked Thorntail, tail flicking over his paws as he gazed warmly at her.

"I'm doing good, Thorntail." She purred, feeling better now that he was speaking to her and her alone. "But my name is Nightshrike now, not Nightpaw."

Thorntail looked surprised. "You got your warrior name already?" He breathed, seemingly proud and shocked at the same time. "Congratulations!" He broke into a loud purr, making Nightshrike's paws tingle.

"Thanks," her cheeks flushed and she looked away. "How are the cats from the patrol?" She asked, looking up sheepishly at Thorntail.

The tom chuckled. "They're doing fine," he meowed. His eyes and tone turned serious, scaring Nightshrike. "But, Flamehawk was killed at the Moonpool last half-moon."

He sounded sad, making Nightshrike wince. I know that because I was there. I was the one who killed Blackheart. She wanted to tell the tom what she saw but held her tongue and instead, acted surprised. "Flamehawk's dead, too?" Nightshrike forced her eyes to widen slightly.

Thorntail nodded sadly, his eyes misting. "Yeah," he meowed and Nightshrike felt her heart break in two. Please don't be sad! "Hazelhawk, Lionflight, and Creekfur found his body with the other medicine cats around the Moonpool. They had gone down fighting."