Alira's POV

From upstairs I hear a car pull in and someone come up to the door. They knock hard. 

"Alira, get the door, please." Calls Dad. I sigh and hop out of bed, run down the stairs and open the door without hesitating.

"Hey." Says Ruel. I go to close the door on him but he pushes it back open gently. "Look, I'm sorry, ok?"

"How many times have you said that now?"

"A lot. I know."

"So why is it going to change now?"

"I... I don't know."

There's and awkward silence in which I avoid looking at him but feel his eyes on me.

"Slept in the forest last night." He states.

"Nice." I mutter, bewildered.

"It was cold."

"Ok."

"Alira, for gods sakes-"

"What do you want me to say?! Oh, next time let me sleep with you in the forest, ho ho-"

"You want to sleep with me!?"

"What!? No! That's not what I meant!" And I'm not even covering up a lie, because that's gross. 

"Mm. Ok. Next time don't be such a creep."

"Oh my god, grow up!" 

He shakes his head and steps into the house. I defensively shove him back. 

"Get out of my house!"

"Alira, you want to know something?"

"Oh? Yeah? Go on then. But get out of my house!"

"I paid for this house."

Silence.

"Why?" I ask daringly.

"Because..."

"Because why? Why would you buy us a house?"

"I had the money." He shrugs. 

"But you don't just go buying random people houses, or do you?"

"No."

"Well why us then?"

"Alira, can't you see-"

"See what Ruel? I don't want to live here anymore knowing it was your... work that paid for it."

"I'm sorry for caring."

"What?"

"I cared about you. I knew you didn't like living with us."

"So you brought us a house?"

"No shit."

"You cared for how we thought of you. You didn't care."

He laughs. "Of course I cared! Why do you think I stole a car for you, of course I cared! I took you for a walk with Wilbur, you remember?"

"How could I forget."

"You kissed me. Right?"

For some reason, this simple, if not sweet sentence makes me so unbelievably angry.

"'Right'?! Like you don't remember? Oh, I get it, you've snogged so many girls since then you kind of forgot. You selfish, arrogant-"

"Oh my god, stop, it isn't like that-"