Chapter 58

A/N: Apologies to all my long-suffering readers for the delay in posting the next chapter. You guys are great 😍😍 and I really appreciate you sticking with me through this story.
I've actually had to split it over two chapters as it was running looong 😆 so think of this as part one. Part two should follow very soon xx
******

'Sorry about that.' Chris said, sitting down.
'That's okay, Scarlett obviously needed to talk to you.' Becca said, turning to look at Scarlett and Colin who were having an intense whispered conversation on the other side of her.
'Yeah. I'm not sure what about though, she never really said much.' Chris said, puzzled.
'Oh.'
'So Becs, have you gotten used to living in the States?' Scarlett asked, having finished her conversation.
'Yes, I think so. It's starting to feel a bit more like home. Although I'm sure the accent is always going to mark me out as a tourist.'
'How long have you been over here?' Colin asked.
'Umm, I came over early February, so it's about...nine months.' Becca said. 'Wow, I can't believe it's been that long already.'
'You're enjoying it?'
'Yeah, it's great. Americans are so different to the English.' She said with a smile.
'In what way?' Chris asked.
'You're all just so...enthusiastic about everything. I don't mean that in a bad way,' she added quickly, realising how that had sounded. 'It's just we English can be very reserved.'
'Really? I hadn't noticed.' Chris joked.
'What made you decide to move over here?' Scarlett asked.
Becca hesitated, wondering how much to say, but the truth would lead to questions that she didn't want to answer, so she just used the old standby.
'Back home, I was involved in a reading programme for kids, and the chance came up to come over here and set something similar up at the Boston library. So I packed my bags and-.'
'She's being too modest.' Chris interrupted. 'She wasn't just involved in the programme, she created it. It helps children to read who are struggling because of all kinds of deprivations. It's amazing, it turns children's lives around.'
'Wow.' Said Colin, looking impressed.
Oh God, I feel like I'm the colour of a beetroot. So much for playing it down.
'Well, it's not just me doing it.' Becca said. 'There's a whole team of us.'
'But you created it.' Chris went on.
'Yes, but it's kind of outgrown me now - everywhere puts their own spin on it.'
Someone please change the subject.
Becca picked up her drink and took a sip. She was incredibly proud of the programme and the amazing work it did, but it was kind of embarrassing to have someone praise her for it like that.
'So, do you miss it? England, I mean.' Colin asked.
Thank you Colin.
'Yeah, some bits of it.' Becca said, glad to be back on an easier topic. 'Obviously I miss my friends and family, and my old life, and I still convert everything back into pounds to work out how much anything costs. Oh and I miss English chocolate - no offence but yours is just not the same.'
Scarlett laughed. 'You sound just like Tom - he's always telling us how 'substandard' our chocolate is.'
'Tom?'
'Tom Hiddleston?' Scarlett said.
I'm sure I've heard that name before...
'Umm, the name sounds familiar, but I can't think who...' Becca said.
'He plays Loki.' Chris said.
'Oh, I love Loki.' Becca said, with a smile. 'Is the actor who plays him British? I didn't know that.'
'Yeah. He's been over here for years, but he still bitches about the chocolate, and the lack of fish and chips.' Chris joked.
'Oh yes, fish and chips.' Moaned Becca. 'The fish and chips situation is worse than the chocolate!'
'What's the big deal about the English and fish and chips anyway?' Scotty butted in.
'It's part of our national identity.' Becca joked with a smile, 'Like James Bond and the Queen.'
'But it's just fried fish and potatoes. We have fish over here and we have fries over here.'
'It's just not the same though. It shouldn't be fries anyway, it should be thick, chunky chips that are fried until they're perfectly crispy on the outside but soft and gooey inside and...'  Becca paused. 'I'm sorry, I seem to have gone off into a little chip-centric daydream there.'
Scarlett laughed. 'You should definitely meet Tom, he'd love you. You could daydream about chips together.'
Becca laughed.
'So what do you do when you're not at the library?' Scarlett asked.
'It's pretty dull,' Becca said, 'But I read a lot. I love books.'
'I don't think it's dull.' Chris said.
'I love the movies too.' Becca continued. 'I watch a lot of films.'
'But none of mine.' said Scarlett with a smile.
'Or mine.' Said Chris.
'Sorry.'
'So what sort of books do you like to read?' Asked Scarlett. 'I'm imagining literature or something highbrow.'
Becca laughed. 'Not highbrow at all, I'm afraid. I love Stephen King and Terry Pratchett and Harry Potter but mainly I read romance.'
'Really?' Chris asked with a surprised laugh. 'You read romance?'
'Yes.'
'Romance?' Chris asked incredulously.
'Yes.'
'But you're so...' Chris tailed off.
'So 'what'? Choose your words with care, Christopher.' Becca said warningly.
Scarlett laughed.
'Stop there Chris.' Scotty butted in. 'I know that tone.'
'No offence.' Chris said. 'I just never imagined you reading anything romantic because you're kind of a cynic.'
'I'm not a cynic!' Becca cried. 'I'm just not ridiculously sentimental like you.'
Scotty and Scarlett sniggered.
'Ridiculously sentimental?' Chris said in mock horror. 'How dare you.'
'Oh, you know you are.' Becca said with a grin. 'You could give a ten year old girl a run for her money when it comes to that kind of thing.'
'That's just hurtful.' Chris said, putting his hand to his heart and returning her grin.
Scotty stood up, laughing. 'Well, as much as I'd love to stay here and listen to you insulting Chris, I've got to go and get ready for the next half of the set.' He said with a grin to Becca.
'Make sure that you've got your dancing shoes on for the next few songs.' He added.

***

A while later, and Becca understood what he meant. They'd played some great songs, including some of the ones that she'd told Scotty were her favourites, but she was starting to flag a little from all the dancing, not to mention feeling unattractively hot and sweaty.
Time for a quick break and a cold drink.
'I'll be back in a minute.' She leaned over and shouted in Chris's ear to make herself heard.
He nodded.
She grabbed an iced water from the bar and sat down to people watch for a few minutes. It was still really hot though.
'Having a time out?' Came Scarlett's voice from behind her.
'Yeah. I'm a bit hot.' Becca said, indicating to the drink.
Scarlett sat down beside her. 'You enjoying it?' She asked, gesturing to Scotty's band.
'Yeah, they're really good - Scotty's a great singer.'
They both just watched the band for a few moments.
Scotty's great, but I need some fresh air before I melt.
'You know, I'm still really warm, so I think I'm going to go outside for a bit to cool down.' Becca said.
'Okay. Do you want me to come with you?' Scarlett asked.
'No thanks. I'll be fine. Just let Chris know if he wonders where I am.'
'Will do.'

***
...to be continued.