8

I stare at Matt shocked. "W-What?!" I stutter. "Adeline, you don't and can't live by yourself. I basically have my own house, because my sister was murdered by a vamp- my dad left when I was a kid, and my mom is a neglectful woman who only comes home so she can hook up with all the new and recently grown up boys here. I have food, an empty room that I don't use for anything, air and heat, and we can ride to and from work and school together."

I smirk at his offer. "Are you really asking me to come live with you?" I ask. He nods. "Okay then, I guess. Might as well. I ain't got anything better to do with my life." We both start laughing. There's then a knock on the door and we both look up.

A man stands there with his face against the glass, peering in. "Get down!" Matt whispers. I notice fear in his voice, so I slide off of the bar and into the floor. Matt looks at me as he walks to the door.

"I'm sorry, Sir, we're closed now. We'll be open tomorrow at eight." Matt tells the man. The guy stares at him awkwardly and my heart starts racing. I don't like this. Matt's scared. I've never seen him actually scared like this!

I look back at the duo, and I see Matt has now unlocked and cracked open the door. The man starts to shove his way through, but Matt holds him back. "Sir, I'm gonna have to ask you to leave." The man stops pressing the door and laughs. That horrific laugh shutters through the air and I shiver.

"Where's the girl?" The man asks. Matt keeps his head straight and I start to cry. Stupid hormones. "What girl?" "Don't play dumb with me. I was here today. She brought me my food. She's a doll. I want her." I put my hand over my mouth as I start to sob and stay as still as possible.

The door slams open and I hear a loud bang. A thud follows and I look through the hole in the counter to see Matt now on the ground. I unwillingly gasp and the man looks over at the bar shielding me. He starts to walk my way, so I get onto all fours and start crawling for the back room. As I reach the end of the bar, the man reaches the other. I jump up and run, him following. I slam the door on his face and lock it. I then run out the back for just in time for him to bust the door down. How? It was locked! With a deadbolt!

I hear music and voices. I go around the apartment building and see there's some kind of party going on on the square. I hear footsteps following me, so I run towards the group of people. Nobody notices me, so I let myself disappear into the crowds.