25

Luke.

I woke up the the sound of an alarm- I was Calum's hand immediately reach to turn it off before he rubbed his eyes slowly, looking to me as I held Harley into my body, feeling how relaxed and calm she was.

"We told her we would get her there by nine" he mumbled out.

"What time is it?" I asked quietly, seeing Ashton and Michael starting to slowly wake up.

"Eight" he spoke swiftly, making me hum.

We needed to start getting ready and waking her up now- but we all hate the morning.

Slowly, everyone started getting up and as I went to wake up Harley, Michael dropped the tv remote- the sound of it colliding with the floor immediately making her jump awake.

"Light sleeper" I exhaled out as she glanced around the room, rubbing her eyes gently after a moment.

"Morning" I spoke slowly, rubbing her back as she sat up tiredly.

"Morning" she responded quietly.

"Still want to go this early?" I asked, kind of hoping she would say no.

"Yep"

Therefore we all started getting ready.

After I brushed my teeth and hair, freshening up and changing, I walked back into Harley's temporary room, seeing her tiredly slipping her Vans on, her eyes closed as she depended on a wall for support.

"Someone's feeling the day after results of a panic attack" Michael mumbled as he ended, gently grabbing her shoulders, rubbing them as she finally opened her eyes, looking to me.

"I'm sleepy"

The car ride there she fell asleep on my shoulder, my arm wrapped around her own as she held it close to her chest.

We got to the foster home and even the feeling of the car slowing down woke her up, making her immediately alert.

We all followed her inside- where it was actually clean, the kids weren't screaming messes and it seemed organized.

And then I realized, it's because there's Ashton's of state workers here- they came and took charge.

"She's discharged?" Veronica asked as soon as she saw us.

"Yes- but I'd like to speak to a state worker-" "Harley go start packing your stuff." She spoke to her quickly, cutting me off.

Harley and I looked to each other.

"What are you talking to them about?" She asked slowly.

"Fostering you until you'll let me adopt you" I spoke truthfully.

I took the classes a week after I met her

I was ready, I was certified- more than certified due to me being a doctor.

She immediately tilted her head.

"That costs money, Luke-" "which I have plenty of." I spoke back sternly.

"I have to be here for the kids." She spoke, immediately walking away and towards her room.

"Let's just- see where they're moving her." Calum suggested slowly.

By the time that we found a state worker that was able to talk to us, Harley was already packed and had joined us.

"I just want to know where Harley Johnson is being moved to" I spoke slowly.

The lady nodded, immediately typing on an IPad, pulling up Harley's file.

"Ah- Harley is being moved to North Dakota to a single foster family, they only take one at a time until either legal leaving age or adoption." She spoke slowly, making my heart drop.

"Wait- so, I'm not going with any of the kids?" Harley's voice sounded stressed immediately.

"No, there was a single open house and we saw how much you had been doing, so we thought you deserved a break from everyone-" "no, I want to be with a kid." She spoke firmly.

"Oh- I'm sorry honey, it's already confirmed, you're going." She spoke firmly towards her.

I saw panic.

"Okay- relax" I quickly stepped in, making sure she didn't go into a panic attack.

"How can we get her anywhere but alone in North Dakota?" I asked quickly.

"Find a willing adopter in the next two hours" the lady spoke quickly, knowing that in any other circumstance, it would be impossible.

I looked to Harley, seeing her looking to me, tears swelling in her eyes.

"I know this isn't how you want it to be, but if I don't adopt you, you're going to be far away from everyone. If you stay here you'll have us, we'll go visit the kids nearby often and take a few trips to see the kids further off every once in a while." I spoke to her quickly, almost begging her to say yes.

I watched a single tear slip down her cheek.

"Please do it, I don't want to be alone ever again."

Harley.

I had been alone since my parents left me here.

Now that I got a taste of what care feels like, what having a family feels like.

I never want to leave it

Not for the kids
Not for the break
Not for the freedom
Not for anything

Because I never wanted to be without a family again