45

Harley.

I braided my hair, doing light make up, knowing we were going to Luke's moms house for dinner before going to one of Luke's favorite dessert places from when he was a kid.

Luke told me it was no reason to dress up, so I settled for a pair of leggings and a band t shirt that I was almost positive I stole from one of the guys.

I slipped on vans just as Calum came in, the smallest smile on his face.

"Hey cal" I smiled, seeing him sit on the bed, motioning for me to sit beside him.

I did as said, feeling him pull me into a gentle hug.

"Everything okay?" He asked me, making me immediately nod.

Act normal.

"Yeah." I told him.

"So what's up with not wanting to go with anyone to family night?" He asked me.

"Because I want you guys to spend time with your families." I responded the same thing I had been telling them all night.

"But you know you're our family-" "but you guys never get to see this side of your families, so I want you guys to have alone time with them." I told him firmly, praying he would just give in and tell the guys to let me stay home.

"You know, I know you spin your rings when you lie, right?"

I immediately stopped playing with my rings.

"I do not." I lied, making sure to not give away anything with my body to tell him I was lying.

He exhaled, shaking his head.

"Is it something with Luke's family? I know sometimes Jack can be a lot-" "no" I lied

I wasn't going to tell him that I saw a text on Luke's phone from Luke's mom asking

Is there anyway Harley could stay at Jack's house while we have family night? I'd love to just catch up with my babies.

I felt like such a fucking bother.

"You're not going to tell me, are you?" He asked.

"I already did, I just don't want to invade-" "okay well, you're not. So get that out of your head and go enjoy your night."

Let me try

The ride there was spent with the three guys questioning me the same way as they had been in the house.

I told them the same thing, over and over.

Luke squeezed my hand, making me look to him.

"You'd tell me if something was wrong, right?" He whispered making me immediately nod.

We went inside, the guys getting hugs immediately before she saw me.

"Oh- and Harley- of course!" She pulled me into a hug.

It all felt fake.

I ended up talking to Luke's dad as Luke, Jack and Ben talked to their mom.

I was telling him about biology and how astrology worked and such before I heard him laughing, making me stop

"I'm sorry- I don't mean to laugh, you just act just like Luke did as a kid." He chuckled, patting my shoulder lightly.

"You're just how I imagined his first child being."

I smiled at those words.

We ended up eating, which was slightly awkward, but the guys overcompensated the awkwardness with conversation.

"Yeah and they're running out of days here- so tomorrow Harley and I are going to work on catching a wave all day-" "Luke honey, how's work?" His mom interrupted Jacks talking, seeming to take everyone by surprise.

"It's good, mum" Luke smiled, glancing to Jack in a confused manner.

She nodded lightly.

The conversation died.

"Harley and I were talking early- you have quiet the little brainiac in your hands, she reminds me of you when you were young." His dad chuckled, making Luke laugh, sending me the smallest wink when we made eye contact.

"I think she's smarter than me- I'm sure in a few years she'll be taking my job." He laughed, making me hum lightly.

After dinner, I immediately picked up plates, moving to the kitchen to help his mom clean them, seeing her immediately glance to me once I brought them.

"I can wash them-" "no it's fine, I'll ask Luke to, I'd like to catch up with him privately anyway." She smiled to me as she said it, but I knew her intentions, so everything about it just seemed mean.

"I understand." I told her quietly, stepping away and immediately seeing Jack holding a few cups.

He stared to his mother with a confused expression, making me pray he didn't take what she said they was that she meant it, because he would most likely say something.

"Mum did you just-" "can you show me where the bathroom is?" I quickly spoke to Jack, wanting nothing but to stop him.

"You know where the bathroom is-" "I mean, come with me, just in case." I was trying to do anything.

"Just in case what? You fall in?" He managed to laugh out, but I responded quick

"Exactly, come on."

"What was my mom telling you?" He asked once we went down the hall together.

"She was just telling me she didn't need help washing the dishes-" "that's not what I heard." He spoke firmly.

"I swear. She didn't say anything wrong-" "Harley, if she's excluding you, she's wrong." He spoke quickly.

"She isn't, I promise." I told him firmly.

"Everything is perfect."