(Five)

Luigi halted to a complete stop and started yelling out, not caring that people might take it as a threat. The place was totaled, like it had been through a tornado.

"HELLO?! IS ANYONE HERE HURT?!" Only a few toads came out of what was left of the sandstone houses, in either fear or sadness. Some injured physically, others mentally. Luigi immediately took a step back, slightly scared. Y/n followed soon behind him. His voice cracked from nervousness.

"U-um.. have you s-seen t-this man?" He pulled a poster out of his bag, Mario's face on it. Y/n's heart sunk as he started to show the toads.

Only a few came forward to look and they all shook their heads no. Luigi looked heartbroken.

Until a tiny toad came forward, a yellow bow on his wrist.

"I did.." the tiny thing squeaked. Luigi bent down onto his knees.

"G-great! Can you tell me anything?! A-anything at all..?" He stuttered, hoping to not break down in front of a child.

"He said he was heading to Yoshi Island. The second he left, we were attacked."

----

Flashback

"Stay safe with your sister, okay?" He smiled confidently at the two, the younger toad admiring his older sister as he was off.

Only an hour later, crashes and chaos broke loose. They were attacked by a fiery beast. Fire spread quicker than lightening speed. All the toad could hear was deafening screaming and yelling.

The toad was being carried by his sister, her running as fast as she could to get to safety. She reached behind a house and saw a hole big enough for..

One toad.

She immediately told him to stay there, and he listened, thinking she'd come back.

He found her bow later after the fire died down.

----

"It's been days b-but.. I still miss her.." At this point Luigi was streaming with tears and hugged the little fella. Y/n's heart ached, as she felt a tear come from her eye.

Not only, did the story break her heart, but.. Luigi cared. He was genuinely sad for him and was comforting him. She heard the little toad start to cry, gripping onto Luigi's shirt like a clingy and needy kitten.

"You are strong, remember that, okay..?" He told the mushroom, and he nodded.

"What's your name?"

"T-Tomas.." he responded.

"I k-know it h-hurts.. but r-r-remember that she saved you, so you c-could continue l-living your b-best life without her... Can you do that, for h-her?" Luigi could barely speak through the crying of the other toads.

"Y-yes." He nodded. Luigi was silent for a moment, thinking of what else to say.

"Im s-sad she's gone..." the toad sniffed and was constantly sipping his eyes, leaving them puffy. The bow flinging around his tiny wrist.

"And y-you're allowed too be, b-but she would n-never want you to l-let the best m-memories you h-have of her m-make you sad." He encouraged Tomas. Both Y/n and Tomas looked at Luigi in wonder at his courage to face life head on.

"You're n-not the only one w-who's sad, you k-know? That p-picture was of my b-brother, he went m-missing, and now I'm l-looking for h-him. All of these other toads lost something or someone too." The toads gathered around, circling the three.

"I t-thought I was a-alone, b-but.. I was w-wrong. I have m-my friend Y-Y/n here.." He turned to Y/n solemnly as the little toad stared up, intrigued. His eyes flashed a bright blue before fading.

"You look like her.." Tomas awed at her. That was the breaking point.

Y/n bit her trembling lips and fell down beside the two, hugging them both tightly while they all shook. Luigi was being so kind to something non-human.

She never expected a human to be so kind to someone different.

Luigi proved her wrong.

The crowd of toads all gathered together into a group hug, crying onto shoulders, wailing their pain out from their loss, but they weren't alone.

They finally let the duo stand up and be on their way, now heading for Yoshi Island.

"W-wait!" Tomas gripped onto Y/n's leg, making her stop. He handed her the ribbon.

"She always wanted to visit Yoshi Island, could you bring this there and tie it somewhere special?" Tomas paused for a moment.

"She'd love that." Y/n about died not the spot. She simply nodded and whispered, nearly breaking again,

"I promise.." she gripped his hand tightly, taking the ribbon.

"Thank you.." Tomas waved goodbye at the two as they waved back sadly. They continued onto their Journey.

----

Hours passed yet again as the duo traveled across the dessert. Y/n was collecting coins as Luigi collected power ups. Fire flowers were everywhere here!

Y/n took another sip of her water, burning up from the suns harmful rays of devilish heat. Luigi was fanning himself with his cap, occasionally fanning
Y/n as well.

"That promise you made to that kid was something special.. I'm proud of you." Luigi smiled at Y/n through the blaring heatwave.

"Are you kidding me?" Y/n stopped dead in her tracks, making Luigi stop too, looking back at her confusedly.

"Y-You're.. you're.." She let her head hang, not sure how to word it. He was being so humble..

"You're so different from other human beings.." She whispered. It was so hard to not NOT hate him!

"Let's go, I think I see Yoshi Island-" Y/n was interrupted by a small cactus poking out of the ground, a flower on its top and a face.

"Hey, look at this!" Y/n went to touch it, Luigi suddenly crying out for her not to. The ground started shaking wildly, the yellow cactus bursting out of the ground into a much, MUCH taller and menacing figure.