Chapter Thirty-Six

Bethany's POV

So much has happened the past few years, so let me catch you up.

Flashback

"Mmmm..." I could feel the pain as I became conscious.

"Beth? Baby? Can you hear me?" I could hear Vincent's voice as I slowly open my eyes,

"Violet?" Was all I could say at the moment,

"She's safe and great. The bullet that went through your lower back, grazed her arm and she passed out from the sting of it, but I sent her and Viola to my mom and dad's place. They are going to finish school with them and come back during the summer."

"How long have I been here?" I  wanted to sit up on the bed but I remembered the pain that came with the slightest of movement, so I remained slouched,

"Five months," my eyes went wide but I shut them and hissed as I moved to quickly, "well you have been in a coma for four months; you have been awake, but not really awake, for the past four weeks. During one of your surgeries, you lost a lot of blood and your body was going under shock so they had to leave in the last bullet, stitch you up and do a blood transfusion. They couldn't operate on you until your body was somewhat healed and in order for that to happen they had to medically induce you into a coma. They said that putting you in a coma was the best choice for your body and that they would operate once your body had recovered. You, uh, went into surgery three weeks ago, which is why you feel so much pain now." He rubbed my hand as I laid my head back and listened to his voice.

So I've been in the hospital for five months and I went under two surgeries and was put under an induce coma. Damn, I've been through hell!

"My parents," I whisper but he still heard me,

"I called them the second you were admitted into the hospital and they came the next day. Your dad broke down more than your mom did but they were devastated about your condition. They actually ended up pressing charges against Lucas."

I open my eyes again and stare at the ceiling. I could hear my heart monitor began to speed up, "what happened to Angelica?"

He went quiet, "Please, Vincent."

"She uh," his voice went low, "she uh, killed herself."

I felt a tear fall down my eye. This is all my fault. I should've just said no that night of the Charity Event, if I had said no, I would have never ran into him. I should've just let the past go and moved on. "This is all my fault."

"No baby, it's not your fault," he leaned closer to me, "the cops said that Lucas kidnapped Angie after she broke it off with him. He held her hostage for three weeks and they said she had abrasions on her upper thighs, which coincide with rape."

"He raped her too?" Another tear escaped,

"Yes. He raped her and she was severely malnourished. She was still laying on the floor of a basement in a pool of her own blood. From the report of the autopsy, they found fresh cuts on her wrist, bruises on her legs, waist and stomach. They assumed that she had cut her wrist once she freed herself from the duck tape. You should have seen the environment she was in, it was bad.... it was as if she was living like an animal."

I continued to stare at the ceiling, "how did the girls take the news?"

"They were upset and withdrew from just about everyone except for each other." He sighed and sat back in his chair, "I honestly don't know what to do, they lost their mother and I lost one of my best friends."

I was getting drowsy and tired again, "It's going to be okay. We will take care of everything one day at a time."

"Listen, why don't you get some rest, this is the first time you were actually conscious and were able to hold a straight conversation." He stood and kissed my forehead but I was too tired to respond, "I'll see you tomorrow morning. I'm going home to take a shower and I'm going to get some rest myself."

I heard his feet walk away and my body relaxed. I don't know when I dozed off, I just know that I did.

I don't know how much time or how many days have past but I remembered having a few visitors. Rory and Colton came by to check on me, their daughter Auri was the highlight of their visit. She made me laugh as she played peak-a-boo with me; she kind of gave me baby-fever. Debbie and Steph, also came by with some flowers and a get well soon card. Debbie cried and apologized repeatedly and I repeatedly told her it wasn't her fault. I told her that Lucas has a mental problem and that he just needs help to work through some things. She basically, told me I'm too nice. We had a good time together though, they brought board games and tequila; I couldn't drink but it didn't stop them. I had a few other visitors but the one that meant the most was Cooper, I remember it like it was yesterday,

There was a knock on my door. I moved my eyes from the window to the most beautiful best friend ever, just standing there staring at me,

"Hi, stranger," I say,

She doesn't say anything as she walks towards the bed and sits on the side of it. She took my hand in hers and rubbed each finger. I watched what she did and we sat in silence.

"Why didn't you tell me?" my eyes come up to meet hers. They held so much concern,

"Who told you?" I sat up. The pain had subsided and didn't hurt so much anymore, "was my mom? Dad? oh wait, Vincent?"

"It doesn't matter who told me... what matters is that you didn't," her voice held hurt,

I looked back out of the window, "you were going through so much in high school, I couldn't put my problems off onto yours as well."

She sighed, "Start from the beginning."

I told her everything and to see her face switch from anger to proud to disgusted to surprised gave me whiplash; but it made my heart swell. 

"I wish you would have told me," she entwined our fingers, "we all knew my dad was an abusive asshole but you are my best friend, so no matter what I was going through, you should've trusted me enough to tell me. I mean, his room was right next to ours," she stared at the wall and smirked, "to think that if I knew, I would've made his own life hell at the house."

She snapped out of it and looked at me. 

We burst out laughing and she snuggled up next to me.