Chapter 40 - This is why you don't meet your heroes

The lack of ancient architecture felt like a personal insult. Percy said as much with a grin as the doors hissed open like a space door when I pressed the mark. I scowled at Percy, but led the way inside. 

It was not the dungeon that I was expecting, but instead an artist's studio. Daylight streamed in through giant windows on the far side of the room to us and made the high ceilings, polished floors and multiple workbenches look more impressive. There was a spiral staircase that led to a higher level. Stencils and easels dotted the area, all holding a sketch of some kind, whether it be buildings or smaller inventions, like wings. Laptops were strewn across the workbenches as well, half hidden by mountains of paper. The remaining space was filled by weird and wonderful inventions, and I wanted nothing more than to explore it all. It was like a museum, but one that you could work in. 

"Di immortales," I whispered, running to the nearest easel to pore over it. It showed a building with a style I had never seen before. It looked elegant and functional but still solid. "He's a genius. Look at the curves on this building!"

"And an artist." Rachel was looking at another easel, running her hands over the sketch like she could feel it. "These wings are amazing!"

Percy was watching us with a confused look at his face. I could see that he didn't understand our excitement or our appreciation of the incredible artistry on display. He walked past it all to stand by the windows, his back tense and the hand holding Riptide was tight. I followed his gaze to see the Rocky Mountains in the distance, which was very far from New York. I guess I should have been confused about how we had managed to get there, but nothing about the Labyrinth surprised me any more. 

"Where are we?" Percy said. 

"Colorado Springs," a familiar voice said. "The Garden of the Gods." 

I spun around to see a figure had appeared on the stairs above us, sword in hand. It was Quintus. 

----||===========>

"You," I hissed, shock and disgust coursing through me. Chiron's warning echoed in my ears. "What have you done with Daedalus?" 

Quintus smiled faintly at me. "Trust me, my dear. You don't want to meet him." 

"Look, Mr Traitor," I growled, angry at myself for being blind-sided by him. Also, I was sick of being calling 'dear.' "I didn't fight a dragon woman and a three-bodied man and a psychotic Sphinx to see you. Now where is DAEDALUS?" 

Quintus casually descended the stairs, sword held loosely in one hand. I was temped to draw my knife, but I knew it wouldn't be much use against a master swordsman like him. Even Percy would be hard-pressed to beat him in a fight, which I could see him considering as he sized up our former instructor. 

"You think I'm an agent of Kronos," Quintus said, leaning against the railing on the bottom step. "That I work for Luke."

"Well, duh," I said. It was the most logical explanation. 

"You're an intelligent girl," he said, tilting his head at me in what almost looked like disappointment. "But you're wrong. I work only for myself." 

"Luke mentioned you," Percy said, suspicion on his face. "Geryon knew about you, too. You've been to his ranch." 

"Of course. I've been almost everywhere. Even here." 

He strolled past Percy to stand at the window, a sorrowful look on his face. "The view changes from day to day. It's always some place high up. Yesterday it was a skyscraper overlooking Manhattan. The day before that, there was a beautiful view of Lake Michigan. But it keeps coming back to the Garden of the Gods. I think the Labyrinth likes it here. A fitting name, I suppose."