Chapter 38 - Percy fights like a monkey

From the start of the fight, I could see that Percy was a better swordsman. His moves were smoother and more practiced. Fighting was where he came alive. Moving normally, he could be clumsy and uncoordinated, but put him in a fight, and he was in his element. 

That's not to say that Ethan was bad. He was obviously well trained and knew how to fight with only one eye. But he just didn't move as well as Percy. And he was disadvantaged by his armour, which weighed heavily on him while Percy was lighter in regular jeans and a shirt and could therefore move faster. 

Ethan charged Percy, who quickly blocked his stroke, following through with one of his own. I could see Percy was testing him, trying to pinpoint a weakness. It was one of the reasons why Percy was such a good swordsman, that he was constantly thinking ahead of the fight and analysing his opponent. He didn't just try to bash them down with brute strength. 

He kept trying to attack Ethan's blind side, but the other demigod must have had plenty of practice at that as he was good at defending that side, his heavy shield always in place. 

Percy seemed to have a sudden focus on the shield as he abruptly changed strategy, constantly giving ground and forcing Ethan to go on the offensive to continue the fight. The crowd jeered at Percy, but he didn't listen, side-stepping and rolling his way around the arena as Ethan followed relentlessly, but increasingly slowly. The armour was definitely starting to weigh on him. 

Finally, it happened. Ethan lunged at Percy, who quickly locked their sword hilts together and twisted, forcing Ethan to break his grip. Then Percy stepped in and hit Ethan on the helmet with the butt of his sword, guiding the armoured demigod down with one hand. Ethan fell on his back and looked too exhausted to rise, his chest rising and falling as he gazed helplessly up at the son of Poseidon. 

Percy hovered his sword above Ethan, the tip touching his chest. I could see Percy breathing heavily, but there was no rage on his face, just reluctance and concentration. He looked up at Antaeus, who gave him the thumbs down signal, although he didn't look exactly pleased about Percy winning. 

Percy glanced back down at Ethan and sheathed his sword. He said something, but I couldn't hear it over the roaring of the crowd. I was just proud that he stuck to his morals. 

He helped the other demigod to his feet and muttered something to him. Ethan didn't look happy, as if he preferred to be killed, but he nodded. 

Antaeus looked like he was about to have steam shoot through his ears. "No one dishonours the games!" he bellowed. "Your heads shall both be tributes to Poseidon!"

"Why don't you fight me yourself?" Percy challenged, lifting his chin defiantly at the giant. My heart sunk. I thought hubris was meant to be my fatal flaw, but it seems that maybe it might have rubbed off on Percy,  because this was downright crazy. "If you've got Dad's favour, come down here and prove it!"

Antaeus looked like he wanted to refuse, but when he glanced around the arena, he could all eyes were on him, waiting expectantly for him to accept. If he refused, he would be labelled a coward and he'd have a full on riot ready to happen. He couldn't afford to damage his reputation. 

"I am the greatest wrestler in the world, boy," he growled, trying to intimidate Percy out of the fight. He had no idea how stubborn Percy was. "I have been wrestling since the first pankration!

Percy looked confused. "Pankration?"

"He means fighting to the death," Ethan explained. I could only hear them because the monsters in the stands had quieted for the moment, their excitement palpable. "No rules. No holds barred. It used to be an Olympic sport."