Chapter 36 - Rachel sees an invisible path

Rachel was a gold statue when we found her. For a moment, I entertained the hope that she'd actually been turned into a gold statue forever, but unfortunately she was only painted. I had to admit, the gold paint was good as it coated her entire body, except her green eyes, so she and the 5 other kids actually looked like a statues. 

"Maybe if we push her over," I suggested hopefully, after we'd been waiting a couple of minutes. 

Percy ignored me, watching Rachel with an intensity that made my gut churn. I had to look away to keep myself from running over and shoving Rachel to the ground. Instead I watched the crowd. We were in the middle of Times Square, the gold kid statues frozen at the front of the Marriott Marquis. Usually I don't like being in large mortal crowds with the amount of car honking and general loud business, but for once it was possibly working in our favour. It would be hard for a monster to track us through all the people and all the smells they were making, so we were somewhat safe. Didn't make me any less impatient though. 

I was ready to walk over and drag Rachel away when a silver boy strolled over to her and took a pose beside her. She unfroze immediately and bounded over to us, a massive smile on her face. 

"Hey, Percy," she said, ignoring me. "Good timing! Let's get some coffee."

She led us to a place called the Java Moose on West 43rd, chatting to Percy the whole way. I followed behind, silently seething, and took a seat so I could face the entrance. We might be somewhat safer in the area, but I still wasn't going to take any chances. 

Rachel ordered an Espresso Extreme while Percy and I got fruit smoothies. If we even dared having what she was drinking, we'd probably start jumping off the walls. 

"So," Rachel began, looking at me for the first time. "It's Annabelle, right?"

"Annabeth," I corrected. "Do you always dress in gold?"

"Not usually. We're raising money for our group. We do volunteer projects for elementary kids 'cause they're cutting art from the schools, you know? We do this once a month, take in about five hundred dollars on a good weekend. But I'm guessing you don't want to talk about that. You're a half-blood, too?"

"Shhh!" I snapped. "Just announce it to the world, how about?"

She shrugged. "Okay." She stood and said loudly, "Hey, everybody! These two aren't human! They're half Greek god!"

No one paid her any attention, even though she was still painted gold. Rachel shrugged and smiled triumphantly at me. "They don't seem to care."

"That's not funny," I said. I could feel my anger rising and I tried unsuccessfully to push it down. "This isn't a joke, mortal girl."

"Hold it, you two," Percy interceded. "Just calm down."

"I'm calm," Rachel insisted. "Every time I'm around you, some monster attacks us. What's to be nervous about?"

"Look," Percy said, "I'm sorry about the band room. I hope they didn't kick you out or anything?"

"Nah. They asked me a lot of questions about you. I played dumb."

"Was it hard?" I asked. 

"Okay, stop!" Percy snapped. "Rachel, we've got a problem. And we need your help."

Rachel leaned forward and narrowed her eyes at me. "You need my help?"

I squirmed under her gaze. I wanted to punch her, but I guessed that at least would gain some unwanted attention. So I dropped my gaze instead, still shoving down my stirring feelings of anger. "Yeah. Maybe."