Chapter 9: Dark Knight

Start from the beginning

Suddenly, the car slows down and eventually pulls over. I look at him confused, while he bents over me. I hold my breath for the 100th time tonight, thinking how close his face is to me.

I can see every detail clearly. His beautiful dark eyes, the high cheekbones, his sharp jawline. That jawline I couldn't stop thinking about...he is so handsome.

And he is so close...

His eyes meet mine only inches away... is he going to kiss me?

My heart beats rapidly in my rib cage, just with the thought of it.

''Your seatbelt. Always wear your seatbelt on'' he says, dragging my seatbelt securely, across my body.

Of course, stupid. Why would he kiss you?

He stays in the same position, close to me, not taking his eyes away.

I'm gonna pass out.

''Breath baby.''

That name again. The sound of it gives me butterflies and I let the breath I was holding.

''Good'' he says, with a smile.

I try to calm down my hormones, while he is too busy turning the car on.

''Are you cold?'' he asks, after watching me rub my hands.

''No'' I lie.

''No?'' he raises a perfect eyebrow.

I look out of the window trying to avoid the conversation, but he surprises me when he takes my hand into his much bigger one and brings it to his face.

He gently presses the back of my hand to his cheek, letting me feel the smooth skin underneath.

''Jesus, your hands are like ice.''

He blows some air and I shiver at the feeling of his hot breath. On top of that he finishes with a quick peck, which leaves me completely paralyzed.

I look at him, my jaw hanging, while he lets my hand go and open the air conditioning.

I slightly pout at the loss of contact, but I don't say a word.

''It's going to get better in a minute.''

I nod silent.

He looks at me once more, before return his gaze to the road.

''You are not much of a talker, aren't you?''

I turn surprised and slightly embarrassed.

Fuck Daphne. He thinks you are weird. Of course, he does.

He saved your life and you haven't even said a word to him. But how can you explain that you are too afraid to speak and embarrass yourself in front of him? Or that your anxiety is killing you and you are just too fucked up.

I look down playing with my fingers, feeling uncomfortable.

''That's ok. I prefer people who don't talk much. It makes it even more special when they actually do.''

I look up only to find him kindly smiling at me. My heart skips a beat.

God.. He is really handsome.

And his words.. Nobody ever talked to me like this. Nobody understood me.

I avert my gaze out of the window, my cheeks slightly pink.

And I just blushed. Great Daphne.

He notices and chuckles. ''Cute'' I hear him mumble.

I blush harder and try to take my mind somewhere else.