Chapter 9: Dark Knight

"Déjà Vu''

''A memory of a dream, a precognition, a coincidental overlapping of events or even a past life experience.''

I look into his dark eyes mesmerized by the person in front of me.

It's him.

The night we met keeps playing in my head and I feel like pinching myself, to make sure I'm not dreaming.

It's actually him.

My Joker.

He chuckles softly. His gaze wondering in every inch of my face.

''Hello again... Harley'' he says with a smirk, and I swear I stopped breathing for a moment.

He notices and gently caresses my face.

''Keep breathing baby.''

My insides turn crazy hearing the pet name and I feel like I'm about to burst.

''Wait here'' he says, sitting up and I desperately grab his hand.

''Where are you going?'' I ask panicking.

I'm afraid that if I let him go, I'll never see him again.

He bents down to my eye level, softly smiling at me.

''I'll be right back. Ok? Stay here.''

After that, he brings his hand to the back of my head and places a kiss on top of it.

I watch him walk away, my eyes not leaving his figure for a moment, too afraid he is going to disappear.

Soon he comes back, bringing a bottle of water with him. He gives it to me, after open it first.

I drink, feeling my neck dry form all the crying.

''Do you feel better?'' he asks, scanning me worriedly.

I nod, not looking at his way.

A light scream sounds from the back.

I can see Dylan holding his leg, while the driver of the gang keeps him down. Eric is unconscious and the other guy is all over the floor. They all look badly injured.

''We should go.'' My Joker says.

He gives me his hand and I take it hesitant. His warmth encircles me, making me feel safe.

''Don't worry about them'' he says, after caught me looking at the men on the floor.

His friends stare at me briefly, while he walks me to his car, opening the door for me.

''I'll be right back.''

I watch him talk with the driver and the pale guy. I can't hear what they're saying, but I'm pretty sure it has to do with the three men in front of them. The driver gives me a look, while I keep my eyes on them.

After a few minutes he comes back to me. Sitting behind the wheel, he turns the engine on and drives fast without a second word.

*

I'm dreaming. Yeah that's it.

I'm dreaming and I'll probably wake up all tangled between my sheets, only to realize everything was a dream.

That the man beside me is just a fantasy. He is not real.

This is not real. Right?

I can feel him staring at me with the corners of his eyes. He is studying me. Oh God.