Chapter Two

‘Psst. Riley. Pssst!’ A sharp hiss came from behind her. Riley turned around to see a boy named Arthur Jones, who went by AJ. she turned around, rolling her eyes at him.

‘What do you want, douche bag?’

‘Wow, bitch, don’t have to be so rude. I was wondering if you, Elise and your boyfriend wanted to come ditch with us after this is done,’ He smirked at her.

Riley looked to her left at Elise, who’s near white hair was obscuring most of her face. She probably couldn’t care less whether they wagged or not. ‘Yeah, me ‘n Elise are in, but who’s my ‘boyfriend’?’

AJ snorted before replying ‘Kyle, duh. You guys were practically making out last time you were together!’ Riley’s eyes widened in sudden shock.

‘Kyle is not my boyfriend!’

‘Sure, sure. He’ll be disappointed to hear so,’ AJ scoffed to himself. Riley scowled and glanced to the front of the room before looking back at him and half grinning.

‘Yeah, sure, we’ll be there. Out back, like usual?’

‘Mhm, see you, girlie,’ He winked at her before leaning back into his seat and placing his feet up onto his desk. Riley looked back to the front of the room just in time to hear he science teacher yell

‘Arthur! Get your filthy shoes off the table!’

✖       ✖       ✖

As the bell for end of lunch rang, Riley shut was locker with a loud clang and waiting behind the door for her was Kyle, leaning against the lockers. ‘What’s up, girl?’ He smirked. She gave him a playful shove before replying

‘Whatever. You know AJ thinks we’re dating, right?’

Kyle grinned and looked away. ‘Funny thing, that,’ He said, looking back at her.

‘Whats that meant to mean?’ She shoved her hand into the pockets of her jacket, the thin denim providing no protection against the cold. She shivered slightly.

‘Well, I mean,’ He paused and looked at her. ‘Cold, Riley?’

‘Nah, man, I’m good,’

‘Sure thing,’ He took off his thick black jacket and put it around her shoulders as they walked out the main doorway and down the stairs to the front courtyard of the school.

‘You didn’t have to, I-’

‘Nah,’ Kyle looked away from her and front again. Riley hugged the jacket tighter around her as the cold wind bit at her. She looked back up at him.

‘Thanks,’ She said, smiling softly. Kyle smirked looking back down at her.

‘That whole outfit was a mistake I guess,’

‘Excuse you!’

‘No no! I mean, you look great, high waisted shorts really suit you, and I mean but, like, ‘cus it’s cold, and-’

‘Stop, stop!’ Riley laughed. ‘You’re so awkward,’ She hugged him from the side as they kept walking. When his jacket was off, you could see his red tartan shirt, with the sleeves rolled up to his elbows, and Riley could feel some solid muscle underneath. She looked up at him, his lips were pursed and his eyes were straight ahead and blank. Embarrassed, she let go and put her hands back into her pockets and looked at the ground. They walked quietly for a few seconds, turning towards the back left corner of the courtyard. Just as they were nearing the back gate, Riley broke the silence by taking off the jacket and handing it back to Kyle.