Chapter Nineteen

France had become such an adventure for Miranda. She was engaged to get married and it all felt surreal. “Grant.” Miranda looked over to see his naked body as he stepped out from the shower.

“Yes darling,” he said as he towel dried his hair.

“I thought it might be nice to have an engagement party, back in Australia.”

“Sounds like a great idea. I will book the tickets for us tonight to fly back.”

Miranda walked over and hugged his naked damp body, “Thank you.”

After they said goodbye to his family with a promise to return, they went on a flight back to Australia. As they got comfortable in their seats, the subject of their wedding arose. “Miranda, I was wondering,” Grant continued as he placed his hands around hers, “would you like to have our wedding in France? We can fly up your friends and have everything you ever dreamed of.”

“That’s a great idea Grant. I was also thinking after we got married, we could move to France to live.”

Grant's eyes popped wide in shock and excitement. “I would love that.”

“Europe is so much easier to travel to, if you live there right?” Miranda smiled.

The flight was long, Miranda was full of happiness; nothing it seemed could pull her down. As the plane descended, everyone was instructed to stay seated as two police officers entered the plane. They walked through the isles as they searched for something. It appeared that they had not found what they were looking for, until they approached Miranda. “Are you Miranda Burke?”

“Yes,” Miranda responded shakily.

“Please stand up,” the police told Miranda. Miranda directed a worried glance at Grant and obeyed the officer’s orders and stood up.

“What is going on?” Grant asked the officer who placed handcuffs on Miranda. The other officer asked Grant to follow freely. As they made their degrading entrance off the plane and were placed in a police vehicle, they were advised Miranda was going to be sentenced due to the involvement of the fraud with Entice Consultancy.

Apparently someone from Entice Consultancy had made a statement that advised they had witnessed Miranda’s criminal dealings with her clients. “This is insane, I am innocent,” Miranda pleaded with the officers.

“Yeah, that’s what they all say, love.”

“We want a lawyer present,” Grant spoke up.

“Fine. Organise one by the time we get to the station.” Luckily, Grant had a top lawyer in Australia and was available at such short notice.

Miranda was sitting by herself in a closed room, with a tape recorder. Grants lawyer Maxwell had arrived and had spoken to the officer who brought her here. Maxwell came into the boxed room and got straight down to business. “You need to tell me everything and you need to tell me the truth right now.”

Maxwell already knew about the case through the media. But that was all the information Miranda knew too. It seemed they both needed to know what this witness had claimed. The officer came in and turned on the tape recorder. “This is Sergeant Bob Bishop, the time is 10p.m., I am interviewing Miranda Burke and her lawyer Maxwell is present. Miranda, talk me through the last day you worked for Entice Consultancy.”

“I had arrived to work early as usual and I was the first one in. Two men ran past me with files. Jim and I went to a private place, where he told me to leave the country. It wasn’t until that night I watched the news, where I found out the truth.” Miranda summed up the day’s events.