Chapter Four

The next morning Miranda woke up before sunrise and left for the Botanic Gardens for a morning stroll. As she arrived she was pleased to see the gardens in all their wonder. She breathed in the fresh air and then sought out her favourite chair. A chair amongst a circle of colourful flowers. But that’s not all; there was a plaque on the chair dedicated to someone’s love. It read, 'To my love, I love you in this life and my love for you will continue through to the next.' 

Miranda could not help feel love surround her when she sat there. To even imagine someone could love her the same way, just made her want to shout out in glee. Butterflies gracefully spread their wings and fluttered around her. This was a special place.

Time passed and Miranda took the warm fuzzy feeling that was inside her and walked along the river. She found a soft patch of grass and waited for the sun to rise.

The sun was as glorious as ever, with pink and purple shades in harmony, drawing across the entire sky. Miranda let the peaceful atmosphere overwhelm her. She knew at that moment, that this was how life should be lived, to enjoy what God had provided; nature in all its brilliance.

Miranda looked over to a couple nearby and wished that one day she too could share this experience with a man she loved. Miranda headed home through the city. She felt amazed the gardens were right next to the bustling city. Yet whilst in the gardens, only the birds humming to a joyous tune could be heard.

Miranda felt really good that she was making time to enjoy her weekend. Normally she was busy working which was why she was a success. 'Surely successful people had a life outside of work too?' Miranda wondered.

Feeling tired from the late night and early morning, Miranda arrived home and tucked herself under the blankets in her comfy bed. She switched on the TV with her remote to listen to the news. An hour later Miranda woke up feeling refreshed. She yawned. Rephrase that, she felt content. Normally there was a rush to do everything but lately Miranda was enjoying the restful moments. Miranda had already determined her weekend was to relax and bum around the house. She had never spent a whole day just chilling before. Her mobile phone beeped and she answered, assuming the caller was Grace.

“Miranda, I need you urgently at the office. How soon can you get here?” Jim asked in a rushed voice.

Devastated, that her plans were ruined for the day, Miranda sighed and responded, “See you in half an hour.” This was the first time Miranda did not want to go to work. Perhaps she had finally found something worth doing; relaxing.

“Miranda, thanks for coming in at such short notice,” Jim said.

“Sure, what’s the problem?”

“We are hosting an event and I want you in charge. I know you will do a fantastic job. The event will be held this Friday for one thousand people.”

Panic started to take hold of Miranda. “This Friday, that is very soon to organise such a large event. Invitations are normally sent out a month in advance,” Miranda replied trying not to sound too apprehensive.

“I know and I am sorry for this. The Board of Directors are coming down soon and want to see how the budget is going. Besides all the business you bring in for this company, everyone else has gone stale. This event is in need to boost our client database and in turn increase our pay packets.”

“Thank you Jim for giving me this opportunity,” Miranda replied on autopilot.

“Miranda, thank you. You are a life saver. Sally will be reporting to you for the event, so get her working. If you need any more staff involved, let me know,” he said soundly.