Chapter Seventeen

Miranda felt a pinch on her bum. “Stop it babe,” Miranda groaned. Another stronger pinch was felt; this one hurt. Miranda jumped up quickly as Grant was stirred. “It’s an ant,” Miranda started to yell, “Grant, get up, get up.” He did not listen and then felt a bite on his cheek.

He jumped up and they both ran inside. The maid gave them some ointment to take out the sting. They sat at the kitchen bench. Even through the pain they could not stop giggling. They thought they were whispering when in the fact the maid informed them, that they were quite loud and were asked to tone it down. They thought this was hilarious. What was funny? They did not know. It was just funny.

“What’s going on down here?” Grant and Miranda turned around to see Mrs Lambert standing in her dressing gown.

“I am so, so, so sorry Mrs Lambert,” Miranda said.

“Looks like you both need a coffee.” Mrs Lambert turned to the maid and asked to make them all a coffee. “I am guessing last night went well,” Mrs Lambert said with a twinkle in her eye.

“Ooh yesh, Cecilia and Alex-an-dah are jush lovely,” Miranda said unable to control the swirl of the sentences she spoke. The maid walked over with a tray, holding three mugs of coffee. Miranda smartly decided not to say anymore until she had at least one sip of coffee.

After they sobered up, Grant took Miranda out shopping to buy them both an outfit for an evening dinner event. This was going to be a glamorous occasion.  As Miranda looked at some of the price tags she soon discovered that she could blow three months’ pay on one dress easily. Grant told Miranda to not look at the price tag and just focus on the dress she loved the most. Miranda tried on three dresses, each quite different. 

The first Miranda tried on was a short black dress, bearing a low back and fitted snugly around the chest. The dress was actually quite elegant. Miranda changed into the second dress. This dress was just as beautiful. She felt like a Princess that was going to attend a fancy ball. Miranda swished and swayed around the shop floor, and even dared a twirl. “You look amazing,” Grant said. 

“I feel like a big cake,” Miranda responded.

The assistant came over and only made eye contact with Grant. “Can I assist you?” The sad looking sales assistant said.

“Yes please wrap this dress up we are taking it,” Grant said.

“But Grant,” Miranda tried to get his attention, but the lady shuffled her back to the dressing room. Miranda did not dare look at the price tag.

She changed and smoothed her hair and walked back out to see Grant who was looking around at the jewellery. He held a big bag. “Let’s go Miranda, we have lots to do.”

Next stop was the beauty salon. “Honey, won’t I be way too dressy for your parent’s dinner?” Miranda asked in a nervous tone.

“No sweetheart.” He squeezed her hand then kissed her cheek. Grant left Miranda to be pampered. And Miranda completely enjoyed the experience. The beautician named Francine chattered about Miranda’s dress, the event, her hair style and make-up colouring. Luckily Francine had been to many balls before and gave Miranda insight on what to expect.

Once Miranda’s hair and make-up looked fabulous, Francine painted Miranda’s nails and even massaged her feet. “Trust me you will be thanking me in the morning,” Francine said.

Grant arrived in perfect time and gave Francine a wink on a job well done. “Beautiful,” he said in French. “We still have a few more stops.” Grant took Miranda’s hand and hurried her out the door. Miranda waved goodbye to Francine.