Chapter 119: Fifth Life - Your Smile is Long-Awaited Bliss

Start from the beginning

"Miss Yuxing, how do you feel about our Young Master Yang?" He asks.

"Uh..."

"Well?"

How do I feel about Yang Zi Huo? Hatred? Annoyance? Familiarity? I guess it hasn't been too bad with just him and I these past few days, although I prefer it if we weren't in such close proximity.

All I know is I used to have some affection for him. In the past. And that's been over so long ago. What I feel for him now is...

"Complicated," I reveal.

"Well then... Let's see if our Young Master Yang can win you over with this race! Enough talking. Let's get ready! Men, on the count of three, you have to race around the festival grounds. Whoever gets back here first will win an amazing prize!"

Everyone prepares themselves. Yang Zi Huo tightly secures his arms around my legs. Honestly, how is it even fair? Yang Zi Huo knows martial arts and is able to teleport as he wish.

The announcer counts down to one and the sound of the whistle starts the race. The men darts forward with Yang Zi Huo in the lead.

Something hard hits me in the back.

"Ack!"

Turning around, I see a woman throwing potatoes at me. Her partner is carrying her about a few feet behind us. Another one almost hits me in the face! I quickly swat the heavy thing in a different direction.

"Hey! What do you think you're doing?!" I yell loudly at her.

"Tryna win!"

"Ya floozy, you really want that bag of rice?!"

This time she throws a potato at Yang Zi Huo's legs, however he easily jumps over it.

"Lady, just how many potatoes do you have?! You know if you dropped them, you'd be less heavy to carry!" I tell her.

"I just hate your face being in front of me!" She yells back.

"Oh!" I scoff. "Yang Zi Huo, you better outrun those two!"

He replies, "Aw!"

Facing forward, I see that the race has now orchestrated into a barrier of wooden blanks. You must go over a plank with increasing height and then downward. There are numerous layers of planks where one must carry their partners under to pass through.

"Watch out for the step!" I say to Yang Zi Huo.

He jumps over it with no problem and goes up the wooden ramp. Balancing on the wide log, he races across as other couples begin their acension on the ramps to the side of us. Carefully descending down, we come to the lowered planks were he must bend forward to get us through.

"Yang Zi Huo, careful." I could feel myself slipping off his back.

Tightening my hold around his shoulders, I make sure I'm not choking his neck. Maybe that wouldn't be a bad idea? Anyhow, we must win this race!

"Zi Huo, I'm slipping off!"

He is finally able to stand up straight, and adjusts my position on his back. Lifting me up to a better spot, I extend my arm out to wipe his sweat dripping on his face.

"Why are you sweating? Isn't that abnormal for you?"

"I told you. I strangely heat up around you." I hear him struggle to say.

"Ai-yah! Whatever! I see the end of the race. Hurry!"

He propels his speed, and we cross the finishing line.

I hop off his back. Smiling I face him and cheer, "Woohoo! We won! Did you see us beat those losers?"

He doesn't say anything.

"What?"

"Nothing. It's just... this is the first time I've seen you genuinely smile for me."

I fix my face to become sullen again.

The announcer reports us to be the winner of the Qi Xi Couple Race.

"And your prize is this free bag of rice!"

"Wow! Free stuff, I love it!" I say as I take the bag from the announcer.

Looking over to the unruly couple earlier, I see that the man is much shorter and smaller than the woman. She is upset about losing. He is comforting her fondly.

Aw, man... Now, I feel bad.

I walk over with the heavy bag of rice. They both stare as I get closer.

"Here." I place the bag in the man's arms.

"What are you giving it to us for?" The woman mouths with sneer.

"I just wanted to win the game. I didn't want to beat you to winning the bag of free rice. I don't need it."

"Are you stupid? I didn't want the bag of free rice."

"What?"

"The winning couple gets to host their wedding with all expenses paid by the festival tonight."

"What?"

All my organs lose their function. My eyes widens as my soul leaves my body to another dimension.

Wedding? Tonight? Oh, what have you gotten me into, Yang Zi Huo?!

If you like the series, please vote for the chapters you like! Don't forget to comment or follow!

I'm grateful for readers like you!