This field was special to him, it was a place he often went to relax or train, and it held many of his most pleasant memories. To see it covered in blood set him on edge, but there was something else. A vague feeling that something important had gone horribly wrong.

But what?

He desperately tried to remember anything, actively fighting the muddle that had taken over his brain, but there was nothing to be found. At least not yet. The pain in his head alerted him to the possibility of a concussion. If that were true, there was no use fighting it. His memories would return in time. He might as well start the long trek back to Talos.

The field was a good mile away from the village and Gray got up slowly, trying to get a feel for how bad his injuries actually were. He was in a lot of pain, but he could move, although his legs felt shaky.

He made his way back to the village as quickly as he was able, remembering the smoke he'd smelled earlier. Erza would have his head if she learned he was slacking off in the field while the village was in danger.

Thinking of Erza reminded him of how he'd left town in a huff. He'd been angry at Juvia for forcing herself on him and at his friends for helping her. It felt stupid to have made such a big deal about it when they could be dead, but he tried not to let that thought sink in too much. He needed to stay sharp because the more he tried to convince himself of different things that could have caused this much destruction; he knew there was only one that made any sense.

Dragons.

As he got closer, the overwhelming heat of the fire joined the glow of the flames, alarming him with how similar it all felt to what he'd already experienced.

The thought that this attack might be a sign that the war they'd thought was almost over was anything but made him push himself a little harder to get to the village faster, even though his legs were quickly tiring, and the pain in his side worried him. The ache in his head remained relentless.

He caught his breath, realizing the closer he got, the more familiar the scene of destruction became.

The sky glowed a soft orange, and clouds of thick black smoke angrily followed the path of the wind as buildings burned. He could see Juvia moving as much water from the nearby lake as she was able, using it to douse the buildings and trying her best to keep the fire from spreading to the adjacent ones. She looked tired but determined.

Lyon also attempted to stop the fires with his ice, the intense heat of the flames quickly melting it into water. Gray was glad to see their combined efforts were turning the tide. He tried to call upon his own ice magic, but he was too weak. His head immediately throbbed, and once again, he felt the urge to vomit.

"Are you okay?" Erza appeared from somewhere behind him and put his arm around her shoulder, supporting part of his weight as they moved. She walked him over to a set of nearby steps and sat him down.

She looked him over, checking him for injuries. "When were you seen by a healer?" she asked curiously.

"What?" Gray gazed at her in confusion. He watched her fuss over him and couldn't help a small smile of fondness. Even with her clothes in tatters and soot clinging to her long scarlet hair, Erza still cared more about him than about her own visible injuries, despite the way he'd left the village.

"Some of your wounds have been partially healed." Erza remarked as she continued to check him over, "Where were you anyway? You had us worried sick. Lyon said the last time he'd seen you, you'd just slammed into the side of a building."

"What are you talking about? I was just coming back from my job, and I woke up in the field," Gray told her, knowing from experience it was never wise to keep the truth from her.