Chapter 39

He hurried down the sidewalk. When he got to Jack's house he ran across the yard and up the steps. He pounded on the door.

It opened, and Jack stood in the doorway. "What?"

"Is your brother home?"

"Yeah."

"Can he drive me somewhere?"

"I don't know." He turned around. "Charlie!"

Charlie came into sight behind him. "What?"

"Do you think you can drive me to the SEPTA station?"

"Why? Are you running away?"

"Can you do it or not?"

"Yeah, I guess. Hold on." And he disappeared into the house.

Murphy stood on the top step and looked down the street. No sirens blared, and he didn't see the Channel 6 news van. He pulled his phone from his pocket and checked the screen.

The door finally opened and Charlie stepped out. As Murphy followed him to the driveway, Jack said, "Where are you even going?"

Murphy paused and looked back. "I just need to get out of here." He hurried to the car.

************

As they drove down the street and onto the highway, Charlie kept repeating, "This is all your decision, okay? I'm not taking any responsibility for it."

"Just go," Murphy said.

He clutched his phone and looked out the windshield, reading each mile-marker sign they passed. When outlines of tall buildings came into view on the horizon, Charlie turned right, and drove down an exit ramp. The car slowed as they descended to an intersection and stopped at a light. The Philadelphia streets were packed with cars and overflowing with pedestrians. 

"I don't know where we -" 

Murphy pointed. "Go that way."

He turned and drove forward. Just when Murphy thought they were lost, a bus in front of them pulled away and the SEPTA station came into sight.  "It's there," he said. "Let me off there." 

Charlie pulled up to the curb. Murphy opened his door, and as he stepped onto the sidewalk, Charlie shouted, "If you get murdered, it's your own fault!" Murphy watched him drive away. 

He crossed the sidewalk to the card kiosk. He dug money from his pocket and tapped the screen. He stuck dollar after dollar into a slot and the machine sucked them in. A card fell into the tray, he snatched it up and hurried into the station. 

He passed through a turnstile, and jogged down the stairs. When he arrived at the platform, he was alone. The tracks were empty and silent. He was surrounded by shadowy concrete and had no clue as to what time the next train would come. 

He leaned against the wall, and let his body slide to the floor. Leaning forward onto his knees, he closed his eyes. 

His phone rang. 

He ignored it. 

A few minutes later, it rang again. He pulled it from his pocket. His mom's number was on the screen.

Where are you? she asked. 

He tapped the message and typed: Did you go home? 

After a minute, it rang. Yes, where are you?

Is anybody there?

What do you mean?

Did mrs drnkwatr tell anyone????

She didn't call back. He heard a rumble from the distance and got to his feet. The train sped into sight. 

It heaved to a stop, and he hurried across the platform. As he stepped through the doors, his phone finally rang. He sat into one of the seats in the empty car and tapped the message. 

I think I can go talk to her. I'll just tell her that we're redecorating. 

He hit each letter as hard as he could: The living room doesnt look like were REDECORATING

As the train moved forward, he leaned into the corner and closed his eyes. 

************

He opened his eyes. The train was hurtling down an outside track. The windows were smudged and the sky was dark. In the glass, Murphy saw his reflection. What was he going to do, just turn up on Jason's doorstep? Just knock on the door and ask, "Can I live here now?" He pulled out his phone and checked the clock. Maybe he'd just stay on the train forever.

A tremendous sucking sound jolted him out of his thoughts. He sat upright and saw a door open at the end of the car. A guy and a girl spilled inside. They laughed as they closed the door, and then saw Murphy. The guy paused for a second, looking at him, and they flopped into a seat. 

A very large sign specifically read: Riding or moving between cars is prohibited unless there is an emergency, or as directed by police or train crew. Murphy glanced across the car, and then looked down. He shifted in his seat. He looked into the window, and saw their reflection.

The guy was blond and the girl's hair was an obviously-fake red. He glanced at them. They seemed kind of dirty - and like they were wearing every item of clothing they owned. The lights above his head flickered. He looked down at the floor, and then back to the window's reflection.

The girl leaned into the guy's ear and whispered, and her eyes remained on Murphy. The noise of the train drowned out what she said, but whatever it was seemed to delight them both.

Murphy stood and walked down the aisle of the shaking car. He grabbed onto a pole, standing as close as possible to the outside doors. He looked over his shoulder.

The girl crossed the aisle, and the guy followed. They sat at the very edge of a seat, and their eyes were on Murphy.

A voice crackled over the speakers, and "Trenton Transit Center" was announced.

The train stopped and the second its doors began to open, Murphy dashed out. He stood on solid concrete and there wasn't really a crowd, but a few people were in sight. He looked back. The guy and the girl had left the car, and they were following him.

He hurried to the nearest staircase. He ran to the top and headed for the Northeast Corridor.

Then he stopped. He turned around. They were coming.

"I don't have any money," he said as they approached. "I don't have anything." 

They guy lunged toward him, and Murphy ran, back to the staircase. Halfway down, the soles of his shoes slipped out from under him. He landed on his side, one hand gripping the rail. He pulled himself back up. He heard footsteps coming toward him, and he ran. 

He crossed the floor, weaving between posts and around garbage cans. Finally, he saw a group of people near the tracks. The rushing sound began, and a train sped into sight. He ran to the concrete ledge. When the doors opened, he followed the crowd inside and grabbed a cold metal pole. He leaned against the pole, closed his eyes, and breathed. 

As the doors closed, he looked through the glass. The two felons were nowhere in sight, and the train sped away. 

As it hurtled down the tracks, Murphy glanced over his shoulder. A few people chatted, and it seemed that everyone carried either a backpack or a duffle bag. They left whatever tunnel they were in and he saw, through the windows, the night sky.

They screeched to a stop. The doors opened and Murphy stepped through. The air was cold, and electric lights lit the outdoor station.

He found a bench and sat down. The crowd dispersed, and the train sped away. Murphy trembled in the wind.